Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Top Removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Whii338, Apr 24, 2000.

1. Whii338

Whii338 Registered Member

Ok anything i need to know before i take the top off?Just got a Blazer(88)K5 and cant tell if the tops been off before,it doesnt leak at all,but i dont want it to start...opinions?leave it alone or take it off?

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Check the gaskets, when you remove the top, to see if it is cracked. If it is REPLACE IT, or it will leak all over the place when you put the top back on.

Money-->Blazer

3. dutterback

dutterback Registered Member

There is an electrical connection on the pillar just behind the drivers seat, make sure you take this cover off and unplug the electrical connection behind it. Also there are two hidden bolts at the very rear of the top. I've never had a problem with mine leaking, but I bet as soon as you take yours off it will unpredicted downpour. (happens every time)

4. KapeKodK5

KapeKodK5 Registered Member

THat is what happened to my k5 when the body shop put the top back on. Now I get a downpour in the back when it rains.... What causes this do you know? And how do I fix it. the top will be coming off in about a month anyway, but i want to fix it as soon as possible......

5. Udy

Udy Registered Member

Interesting! In the 7+ blazers my family has had, none of the tops have leaked once removed. One thing I do to my leaking sunroof on my NONtruck is apply silicone to the gasket sealing area. It repels water and swells the seal a little. Try that on the blazer seals. Beware, silicon does nasty stuff to future paint jobs once its been on the vehicles finish!

6. Chrome Moly

Chrome Moly Registered Member

just took mine off today, and my gaskets looked pretty good if you need to replace some try the chevy dealer.
    And by the way like the other guy said please don't forget those hidden bolts under the rail inside the paneling by the tailgate. Jus bought rip my top clean off without unbolting them first.

Chrome Moly
    <font color=green>Resistance is Futile</font color=green> [​IMG]