Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

top removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NEK5, Oct 10, 2006.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

ok guys, i need some help with removing my top....i did do some searching but came up with nothing i was looking for...it seems as if my 90 has "tamper proof" allen head bolts?? any ideas how to get them out? and is all i have to do is take out all the bolts and lift off?

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I've removed those little "nipples" in the center of those type allen bolts with a small punch and hammer...then you can use a regular allen key to remove the bolts.

3. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

That is actually a Torx head. I believe they are a T-15 or T-20 tamper proof head. You can get the Torx bit at Auto Zone or places like it. Don't forget the two underneath and behind the side panels at the back by the tailgate. These are probably going to be a 1/2" head. There are also two screws for the electrical cover plate on the driver's side, undo and unplug. This should have you ready to go topless.:rolleyes:

4. jk5blazer

jk5blazer 1/2 ton status

What he said:D

5. BulldogK5

Correction: The bit is a T-40 tamper proof.

Go ahead and get two or three if the top has never been off. I have broken them before.

6. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

T-40 torx Tamper proof also known as a T-41

7. jamber2541

jamber2541 1/2 ton status

what he said,
    my friend and I had the same problem and those stupid torx thingies like to breaky inside, do yourself a favor and punch them that way you can use a solid torx head instead of the correct hollow torx heads

8. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

Do you have to replace the seal when you pop the top or is it designed to come off without too much issue? I've never done it but want to for winter coming up. (florida winter = most of y'alls summers.) :P

9. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

some people say to replace the seal after taking the top off(or before puttin it back on...whatever).

i didn't with mine and i haven't noticed any leaks since i've had mine back on.

10. sunnyc123abc

sunnyc123abc 1/2 ton status

i didn't change mine, and there are no leaks.

11. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

hmm, i dont plan on replacing the seal, although i will be using sections of the seal on the full top, for the half top....or would you guys recomend me getting new seals? i will have to cut about 3ft out of the seals on the bed sides? whaddya think?

12. BulldogK5

I have never replaced the seals on any of my 3 tops. I have had leaks along the cab roof in one truck and some heavy leakage on another trucks bed rails. The bed rail leaks were stopped by using petroleum jelly along the bed rail. This stopped most of it. Then the problem was back by the tailgate from the bottom bolts not being in.

Currently I have a leak at the top of the cab so this seal will need to be replaced for me. They have a tendency to wear out faster the more you remove the top.

You could also replace the Torx heads with the '88 and older 1/2" bolts like the one holding the tire carrier arm in place.

13. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

ah i forgot about the bed rails. i never had real seals there, but the previous put a long strip of the soft side of velcro on the bed rail. i've never noticed any leaks, and that's probably cheaper than new seals.

hell, rtv would prob work too lol.