Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Top removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Dave, Aug 15, 2000.

1. Dave

Dave Registered Member

Here is another question about removing the top. It's aimed at the guys/girls with 89-91s. I'm contemplating removing my top (yeah, I know it's August already......winter is just around the corner here in Wisconsin). The only thing I'm wondering about is how to deal with the rear, roof mounted shoulder belts. Do they stay on the top, or do they stay with the seat????? How are they attached??

Dave Hiller
    90 K-5
    "The Anti-SUV"

2. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

My '89 doesn't have roof-mounted strap. Sorry.

3. Hey Dave, I have a 90 also and I took the top off once earlier this summmer.

If you push in one side of the cover of the selt belt retractor on the roof, then the cover will swing down (with the belt still in it). The retractor has two bolts that bolt into the roof (of the top). They're a bear to get out, but they'll come out. All I did was just lay the retractors on the floor in the back since they are not doing any good anyway.

Long term I want to get either some lap belts or I have heard of belts that the shoulder strap detaches from the buckle so it turns into a lap belt when I have the top off.

Let me know if you hit any problems. Don't forget about the two bolts underneath the rail behind the back side panels. They actually bolt into the top. And on mine there are also two alignment pins that stick up into the top. You need the lift the top about two inches in the back to get offa those pins.

4. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

On my 90 i just unbolt the bolts on the floor. I think this is much easier. I will be getting some lap belts soon so the rear passengers won't fall out when the top is off[​IMG]

http://k5junkie.coloradok5.com/

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Please let me know when you get some lap belts that work. I've got the complete interior from a '90 Jimmy in my '81 so the only rear passenger with a belt has to sit in the middle. Problem is I have 2 kids. Let me know what works, TIA [​IMG]

Rene <font color=red> 81 K-20 Jimmy </font color=red>
    <font color=green>[​IMG]"God hates a coward"</font color=green>[​IMG]