Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

top removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by smp92xj, Jun 15, 2003.

1. smp92xj

smp92xj Registered Member

I would like to remove my k5 top for the summer. Is the removal tool a dealer only item(torx w/ dimple in the middle)? Also is there anything I should know prior to and during the top removal?
    thanks

2. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

5/16th is what i want to think....

there are two bolts underneath the bedrail in the back...i just cut those off and just use the bedrail bolts and the cab bolts to hold mine...no problems at all

3. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

a lot of parts stores carry the tool you need. just check with them to see if they can get it.
    top removal: unhook dome light wires, and don't forget the 2 hidden bolts at the rear behind the interior bed panels.

4. Blazn88

Blazn88 Registered Member

You also want to rub some Vasaline on your rubbers on the truck and the topper, so they don't get brittle and crack.

5. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's called a Tamper proof Torx. Most auto part stores carry them I bought the whole set for about $15 in case I ever run into any other sizes.

To make thinks a little quicker I put the bit in a cordless drill. I can take out all the bolts in about 5 min just make sure if you do this you use something with a little more torque to tighten them up when you reistall your top.
    -Brian