Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Top Repair Q

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by talldogg, Oct 13, 2000.

1. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Howdy,
    I just bought a '74 tub which I plan on using the tub as it's in better shape than my '75. The top on my '75 is perfect, so I'll be using it, and the '74 also has a top on it, but it's got crack in it. It appears it might have been dropped at some point and the damage is pretty bad. It's cracked (all the way through, not just a small surface crack) on the passenger side right in the middle of the pilar in between the window and the door glass. Is this fixable, or should I just tear it up and haul it away? Thanks, and have a great weekend!!![​IMG]

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

2. Tommy

Tommy 1/2 ton status

Make a half top out of it! It would be worth trying.

Drive it Like You Hate It!

3. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

The good thing about fiberglass is that any damage is fixable. It could be a good opportunity to get some practice in on repairing fiberglass. If you screw it up, you can just sand it off and try again. Plus, fiberglass resin and cloth are cheap.

4. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

I like the idea of building a 1/2 top, try repairing the crack to get used to working on fiberglass, then take a look at teh 1/2 top on the blazer at the Y2K5 run this summer and try to build yourself a top like that one.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

5. 79Guy

79Guy 1/2 ton status

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I believe the "half-top" makes an early K5 look like a short pickup. But the top would be removable. I think this would apply to all first gen Blazers/Jimmys and 73-75 second gen Blazers/Jimmys.

Rene

[​IMG]

7. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

8. mybeast

mybeast Registered Member

Mudfanatic, What do you know about the blue truck on the right in that pic? Thats a good looking rig.

When all else fails MASH the skinny pedal!

9. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

10. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

repairing these tops is a snap with resin and fibreglass mat, just sand each side of the crack to make a valley for the material to lay in and start layering it. The only problem I have is that mine has sort of a rough texture to it, I can either sand the whole top smooth or figure out a way to stipple it to match.

"who dares wins"

11. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Well thanks for the input guys. I knew it would be repairable, I was only concerned with how it would look after it's done. Remember that it's viewed from both outside and inside so the repair can't be too thick. I really like the half top idea, I think I'm going to take it a step further. I'm going to repair the pilar and then saw off the back of from the pilar back, so it's going to look like the cab of a '76-91. This way I'll have two tops, a full one and a "cab-top". This also reduces the stress on the repair. Sounds good to me![​IMG]

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!