Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

top stand

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BowtieBlazer, Jul 27, 2001.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I am lookign to build some sort of stand to remove the top myself with very little effort...like maybe put down the back window...back the stand into it and drive away "topless" anyone have a stand already fabbed? I'm tired of needing someone else to be there and them being a wuss and dropping their side right onto my paintjob...thanks ahead

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer
    1982 Chevy C-10 Longbed

2. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I use two ratchet straps. I open both sliding windows and run one strap through the side window, up into the rafters, through the other window and hook both ends together. For the rear, I just lift one side of the top up, run the strap under the top. I repeat that for the other side. Loop second strap ends together, then just ratchet the top off.

Real four wheelers don't need tools to remove body panels, paint, tail lights..etc.
    P.S. Ask me why it is called "BODY SNATCHER"

3. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    I take mine off with a forktruck, much easier that way! Before the forrtruck days I loosened up the top and slid a piece of flatstock a little wider than the top between the top and tub, at ea\h end. The flatstock had holes in the ends for rope to go through. A $10 block and tackle pulled everything up from my garage ceiling

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

A fellow CK5er came up with this idea. Sorry I can't remember who it was(Bone86k5?)and I hope they don't get mad that I posted these [​IMG]
    http://www.k5.rockcrawler.com/images/topper_rack.jpg

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.rockcrawler.com>Click here to see my K5</a>
    *<font color=red>under construction</font color=red>*

5. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

very cool idea :) anymore?

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer
    1982 Chevy C-10 Longbed

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Hook a tow stap to the top and the other end to a imovable object. Then side-step the clutch at 2-gand- that should remove the top in a hurry.

Take a pic for us if you happen to try this one -K- [​IMG]

Twiztid

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hey Eric...lets see you try that with yer Blue Blazer! Of course if you don't remobve the bolts first you could be doing a rear body swap the quick way [​IMG][​IMG]

BTW I think that big ol Kodiak in yer yard would qualify as a great big immovable obect...[​IMG]

Just bustin yer balls a bit dude...[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

8. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

The funny thing is, I wouldn't have to pull the bolts out of the top- Its so rusted out, it almost pops off by it's self!

You are not kidding about the Kodiak- friggin' thing stll hasn't moved. I think the guy that really owns it has forgotten about it, so I might make him a offer on it and make it my daily driver. Would that be cool or what!

Twiztid