Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Top storage, again

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CAPTAINK5-CT, Nov 14, 2000.

1. CAPTAINK5-CT

CAPTAINK5-CT 1/2 ton status

I'm interested in storing my top suspended from my garage ceiling. Were did any of you all get the hard ware for this? I checked at Home Depot, the stuff they sell states it is not for overhead storage or for anything that might drop causing injury or damage. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I think they pretty much have to say that for liability. I picked up my eybolts at Lowes....seems like they had a wieght rating somewhere on the box or packaging....I think they were 1/2" diameter. I use some nylon braided rope rated at like 600 pounds (two loops) and it seems to hold my full ('74) top just fine. I put a 2x6 across the joists in the attic and ran my eybolts (12" long) up through the ceiling and thru the 2x6's with a big fender washer on top. Email me if ya need anything more specific.

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

3. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Yea I got everything for mine at Lowes besides the cleats, all their pulleys were rated at like 100 lbs or less so I just basically pulled the rope through the eye bolt. It works fine, it is pretty easy. Everything else I could find something that was rated for atleast 200 lbs.

----My explanation on the easy way to get the top off---

Un bolt the top
    Lift up each corner of the top and slip either a brick or a piece of wood under it.
    Put an eye bolt through the hole where the bolt went through the top.
    Tie the rope to the eye bolt and run it through the eye bolt in the ceiling. Do this for all 4 corners.

Take a car with a trailer hitch and back it up to the front of the k5 in the garage, take all the ropes and pull them through the trailer hole, then put the trailer hitch pin through it and then pull all the ropes tight and tie a big knot in the ropes so they can't get by the trailer hitch and the pin. The crank up the car with the trailer hitch and SLOWLY drive forward. Then untie each rope the tie it to a cleat on the wall and you are done. This also works with your k5 or another k5, you can tie the ropes to the tow hooks on the front and back up. Just watch out the knots get tighter when they are pulled on w/ the weight of the top. I have a way to get around that, but I can't explain it typing. If it interest you, I can take some pics. I hope this whole thing made a little bit of sense. Let me know if you have any questions!

Dawson
    88 K5

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Just use some brute strength to get it up![​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]FUN WITH 31's![​IMG]

5. rezalb

rezalb 1/2 ton status

Way to go Blazerguy, the photos are great...This is why this site continues to give me inspiration....I LOVE IT.

rezalB

Built for a purpose.

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Actually, that's Shawns K5 [​IMG]

[​IMG]FUN WITH 31's![​IMG]

7. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I have my top on and off quite frequently so I just run the ropes (two loops) underneath the top in the rear and in the front. I prop up the top with a couple of pieces of 2x4. The ropes are just the right length to let me drive out from under the top. I just have an 8' ceiling so I can't hoist it way up.

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm