Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Top w/ sliding windows

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mat2312, Aug 31, 2005.

1. mat2312

mat2312 Registered Member

I have the opportunity to buy another top for my 85, I currently have the stock one and I can pick up one with sliding windows very cheap. I don't really have a need for it now nor do I wish to switch but I was wondering;

How rare are sliding-window tops?

(Keep in mind I live in Ontario Canada if that helps?)

2. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i know where you can get one down here for a 12pk. its mine.

3. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

My *guess* is, that they are slightly more common than the solids.. or about the same, since they were the only 2 options.

I'm not sure what year they began offering sliders, but if they had a few year run of just solids, then they more than made up for the difference in the latter years when it seemed that more often, they came with a slider. More than likely they have an availability of about 50/50 give or take.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

They certainly aren't rare down here, and it's not even hot where I live. :)

IMO they aren't any good. Either get AC, or roll down all your other windows. The latches suck, the wing windows loosen up and can't be fixed, tons of additional weatherstripping to deal with, and so on.

A good top however, is not bad to have as a spare. They WILL split along the seams at the rear pillars typically. You can swap the windows very easily.

5. GruntHunter

GruntHunter 1/2 ton status

Blazer tops

Along those lines regarding tops splitting, are they repaired like a typical Corvette fiberglass body? One of the previous owners had installed a roof rack on mine and drilled holes all the way through the top, NOT like GM had done with theirmolded rubber grommett with the threaded insert.

Now I want to install a Con-Fer roof rack but will need to make new holes in the roof and have been concerned about getting the old holes repaired. I don't want to just stick plugs in them, I want to repair them and repaint it. What's the best way ?

Oh yeah, I have the slider windows in my '87 Blazer but never use them. Too hard to open and close and I'm always afraid I'm going to rip off the latches when I try and close them. Dust and dirt accumulates in the window tracks and sometimes the upper felt seals/tracks come loose and tend to hang down. They did that on my neighbor's '87 Blazer. But then, I hardly ever have anyone in the rear seat.

6. dyeager535

Shouldn't be any problem fixing holes or non-structural cracks like you mention.

The splitting along the seams at the rear pillars wouldn't be fixed for long with just fiberglass, I'm not sure how they are held together back there, but I suspect any attempt at reinforcing that area with just fiberglass would result in another quick split.

7. mat2312

mat2312 Registered Member

thanks guys

8. txfiremank5

Heck yeah, they'll split... just look what happened to mine.

[​IMG]

I'm gonna need a lot of fiberglass to fix that.

OK, so I helped it split with a little :hack: action. :haha:

9. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I'm in Hamilton and I see them all the time. I'd say 50/50, though they definitely tend to be on late model trucks. Where are you located?

10. 79 blazer

79 blazer 1/2 ton status

what are you doing with that cut down top? some sort of soft top or something?

11. dyeager535

So where (if anywhere) was there metal in that thing? From what I could tell, there is a metal reinforcement in the rear section around the window opening. Just kind of curious on the interior construction. I noticed some rivets and all the construction seams when I was replacing seals, really don't notice them until you get it thoroughly stripped.

12. txfiremank5

Yeah, it's for a homebrew soft-top. Well, not 100% homebrew, I already had a lot of it.. I just no longer had the track that mounts to the cab. So, I will be using the scissor supports to hold up the top, and the "lip" of the hardtop to secure the snaps.

13. txfiremank5

The only metal I *remember* ... is in the rear corner and probably continues up and over the rear window... like a "roll bar". Seems like the other places just used fiberglass ribs as supports.

top stuff 004 (2).jpg

14. dyeager535

I need to look at mine again, I suspect part of the "splitting" problem is because the internal supports rots out. I know I get a sprinkling of rust everytime I hit the top in that area.