Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Top weather stripping replacement tips

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zcarczar, Jan 9, 2003.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Anybody got any good tips? Im doin it this weekend cause my seals are leakin like a SOB. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Yes. The strip on the cab has to be "rolled on". There is a lip sticking out of the back of the cab. The weather strip has a channel in it. Take the striping and pull down on it to roll it over the lip. The hard top seal is a real mother to get off. It is glued on with some nasty stuff. Be sure to have razor blades. The replacement must be put on with adhesive. I like 3M weatherstip adhesive. Do a little at a time. Goop up enough of the strip to do a side and just past the curve of the corner of the top. Keeping running your fingers on and pushing it flat. It will take a few minutes for it to dry and stick (do it in a warm place). Don't rush it, or it will move around. Have some paint thinner or such on hand to rid unwanted stick 'em. BE CAREFUL, too much in the wrong spot will cause it to lift. Thats about it.

3. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Alright, what about the bed rail seals? Can I but a few fender covers down on the ground and turn the top upside down to replace em? O yeah can I use a heat gun on the top seal to get it to heat up and stick better?

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Lol, you got me. I didnt do the bottom seals because they are no longer available through GM. I think yours would probably be fine too. Flipping the top over on its back would be ok, or even flipping it up the long way. Just have to undo the little bit that wraps around the front. I dunno about the blow dryer thing. I would definetly use heat when removing them. If where you are doing this is when its colder than crap, then a pinch of heat would help. Probably wouldn't hurt to have an assistant if you don't have four arms, lol.

5. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Alright, thanks for the tips. Luckily its not too cold here yet and I get to work in a heated shop. But i'll use my heat gun to help get the old seals off. O yeah I did get the rail seals from GM. If you want the part numbers I can get em for ya.