Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TOP ?????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Confederate9, Sep 8, 2000.

1. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

AIGHT T-MINUS 20 HRS TILL I TAKE MY TOP OFF FOR THE VERY 1ST TIME EVER. AND I HAVE 4 QUESTIONS, AND IF SOMEONE COULD PLEASE ANSWER THEM AS FULLY AS POSSIBLE I WOULD BE EVER SO GREATFULL.
    1- SO THE BOLTS HAVE NUTS TO THEM?
    2- WHERE EXACTLY ARE THE "HIDDEN" BOLTS? I DONT WANNA MESS UP MY TOP NOW HEHE
    3- HOW MUCH DOES A 85 TOP WEIGH?
    4- ONCE I PUT THE TOP BACK ON DO U THINK IT WILL LEAK?
    I SOMEONE COULD ANSWER THESE SOON I WOULD BE EVER SO GREATFUL.
    THANKS SO MUCH GUYS
    CONFEDERATE9

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    "DONT BE PROUD IF IT AINT LOUD!"

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

1. no nuts that you have to fool with. The nuts are sliding and an integral part of your K5's body. Kinda like a sliding weld nut

2. Mine didn't have hidden bolts, but I've been told that on some K5s, they have one hidden bolt in each rear corner. You'll have to pull the side panel back to access these.

3. This question was kicked around quite a bit and alot of guesses made. But figure on it being a full job for 2 people. One guy gets in the back, pushes up and back a little with his back, slide something in between bed and shell. Then you can get your fingers under it from either side and lift off. That's the way I've always done it.

4. I doubt it will leak. Save your rubber pieces. I pulled mine and when it goes back on, I only use 2 bolts, one in each side. And it doesn't leak. So I doubt you'll have a problem

HTH,

Bryan

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blaze- 350/350/203, 14B w/detroit, D44, 4.11s, 4" susp, 36" TSL

3. wheelin247

wheelin247 1/2 ton status

i took the top of mine like 5 tims and didnt have any problems with leaks just make sure u have the seling stuff the goes agianst the cab on ther right before u put the top on so its sealed

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If your truck has been repainted be carefull! My 79 was repainted before I owned it and the fool who painted it didn't do a very good job taping it and panted the seal to the cab. Well we got it flexed up good and the seal tore. take a carefull look at the seam before removing the top to make sure your not going to have a problem. The seals are $39 each from LCM. You should only need one if yours is painted.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

5. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

mine is painted. so basically i gotta get new seals once i take it off? and what are the exact names of the seals does ne one know? or know the part number?
    thanks
    Confederate9

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    "DONT BE PROUD IF IT AINT LOUD!"

6. Kiblsnbits

Kiblsnbits Registered Member

To make sure it doesnt leak, when you put it back on, put the bolts to the cab in and tighten them first, then put on the ones on the bed rail. The two hidden bolts on mine were in the side pannels, so I folded them back and layed on my back to get to them. I dont know if it was just mine, but the two hidden bolts were larger than all the others, 9/16 instead of 1/2. Good luck, nothing like drivin it without the top [​IMG]

These things are EXPENSIVE

7. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

When you put your top back on, leave the two back [hidden bolts out]. they're not needed...also put a generous coat of silicone on the rubber, keep it nice and won't squeak any when it's back on. I've removed my top by myself by backing my p/u up to the K5 and getting under the top putting it on my back balanced and lifting with my legs and walking into the back of the truck, and setting it on the bed rails of the truck. Its a slick way of doing it and it makes it easy to put back, and you'll be surprised at the handling difference.[​IMG] off-roading[​IMG]!!!

<font color=blue>White Knight</font color=blue>[​IMG]

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Don't forget to unplug the electrical wiring for the dome light in the half top. There is an access panel, drivers side above the bed rail, kind of near where the upper part of your seat belt is.

To keep it from leaking I applied a thin film of Vaseline on the rubber seals before I put the top back on. That worked real good.

Have fun, I love having the top off on mine![​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

9. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Don't forget to unplug the dome light inside the front drivers side of the top. For some reason I always forget that d@mn plug! Mine's never leaked and I've had it off a lot, once for three weeks straight. You'll notice a significant difference in the handling of the truck too.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Yall lucky dogs have dome lights? WOW [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blaze- 350/350/203, 14B w/detroit, D44, 4.11s, 4" susp, 36" TSL