Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Toplees Burban ????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jesterdzs, May 16, 2006.

1. jesterdzs

jesterdzs Registered Member

has anyone done this yet and have some good pics
    I Photo chepd this Not sure whos burb it is but mine should look close pretty soon

1TOPPLESSBURB.jpg

2. jesterdzs

Topless:d

3. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

that's a pretty sweet idea man. are you going to construct a soft top for it?

4. jesterdzs

was thinkin about a can back for the rear , maybe they could figure somethin out, :thinking: if not just cage it and run a long bikini top:pimp1:

5. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

not sure whos' this is but It would be pretty cool to have a topless sub.
    If I were to do it I would put a full cage and bob the rear and tapper it along with the front..... man that would be sweet. only if I had a tow rig.

29a8.jpg

6. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

Man am I thinking right now.

7. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

A full cage would prolly be mandatory or you would have major body sag. I've seen them with just the cargo area chopped Looks sweet.

8. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Then again, you could take a topless burb, install a full cage, put a K5 capper on the back, with a soft top over the passenger area (removable without removing the K5 cap, if you desired).

9. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

That lead pic does look neat. Another way would be to cut just behind front seats to retain 8' of "bed" like a longbed P-up. Another way to stiffen-up and keep the convertible "look" could be to build removable "bars" side-to-side behind front seat and second seat. Removable with PitPins like side bars on Roll Cages(ball lock pins, double clevis).:D
    Wonder how much weight that is?

10. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

Sorta like some fancy cars do. That would be pretty cool. I don't even own a suburban, but my truck is a full convertable, and if I ever owned a suburban after owning my truck I have now I'd make it into a convertable too. It's pretty nice having no top... especially for shooting wabbits.

11. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Hunt from the truck!!
    :haha:

12. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester 1/2 ton status

Now this idea has some serious possabilities......might just have to grab a saws all and see what happens....thatk god I have a friend who builds roll cages and such!!! Now where did I put that phone number? :doah:

13. jesterdzs

topless bobbed with a k5 can back and top brace

Attached Files:

14. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Shoot, who needs an Avalanche.:D

15. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

How about a full removable hard top conversion?

Make the cage the structural member and use the bikini during the summer. And then put the top back on in the winter so you stay dry.

I have two sets of doors so one could be for Summer (cut down) and the other for Winter (full windows and frames)

Perhaps tube doors and a tire gate (tiregate.com) for the Summer as well.

Just some food for thought.

16. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

This is very excellent idea. Living up here in the winter would require something a bit warmer then a canvas top. Door idea would solve another problem. Now I am really thinking about it.

17. 54inches

54inches 1/2 ton status

18. G-Force8

G-Force8 1/2 ton status

A fully convertible 'Burb sounds cool,but has anyone thought about how many people would be needed to heave the top off and on??!!

I'm leaning toward keeping the front section of the roof intact on my '91 and doing the K5 rear top. At least for now. I'll be moving out to Cali in the not to distant future and having the thing fully topless with a bikini stretched across it looks so sexy in my head. Especially up on 39.5" Boggers

I am concerned about the forementioned body sag on a fully convertible Burb. that is a looooooong body with no upper support

19. G-Force8

G-Force8 1/2 ton status

Another idea.

How about leaving just enough of the roof over the rear seats to do the K5 hard top convert and have some support there, and slice out the center section from the windshield frame back to just in front of the convertible top. Then there would be the possibility of a lift-off center section with bikini top option AND the rear K5 top.

20. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

Heavy Top - Yep, I am sure it would be. But if I can figure out how to design and build a full removable hardtop for my Sub. I bet I can figure out a simple pulley system that would allow me to remove and reinstall it at my leisure.

Body Sag - Well since Subs aren't unibody I don't think this is going to be an issue. But just in case it is. If I am going to full conv my Sub I am also going to full cage it for safety and so I have something to stretch the bikini top across. So if the cage is built even half right it will more than make up for the lack of a top.

K5 rear, conv front - Right now. I am going to chop chop the top off this rig so I can have a summer vehicle ASAP. But in the future, this idea is a good one. I was also thinking of a K5 rear and a full sliding rag over the passenger compartment. Not quite as good but cool none-the-less. But this might be something for the towrig.

Tube Doors - I am STILL WAITING for SOMEONE to build a set of tube doors for the REAR of my Sub. If you make them I will buy them. Don't make me build my own... hahahaha