Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TOPLESS AUDIO QUESTION

Discussion in 'Audio' started by mxk419, Jun 14, 2003.

1. mxk419

mxk419 Registered Member

I'm def. going topless with my K5 and I want to put a kick a$$ system in. I don't really have any need for the rear cargo area so I was gonna put all my audio goodies back there. Does anyone make or have plans for either a wooden or metal box that I could mount back there to house my amps? I'm gonna have at least 2 amps back there and I wanna keep them protected.

2. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

just bolt some clamps to your sub box(es) and moutn them on the side

also, dont use ported boxes with top off...just a little fyi

3. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

i can sell u a box for 2twelves if u like. the angle on the front is perfect for the back seat. pm me if u want it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    also, dont use ported boxes with top off...just a little fyi

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to enlighten us on this.....??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

speakers are made to push a certain cubic feet of air
    if you pop the top then you increase the volume of air that needs to be pushed...this will affect your ported and sealed subs but more so on ported since it relies on the surrounding space to resonate the vibrations.

something like that, lol...

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    speakers are made to push a certain cubic feet of air
    if you pop the top then you increase the volume of air that needs to be pushed...this will affect your ported and sealed subs but more so on ported since it relies on the surrounding space to resonate the vibrations.

something like that, lol...

[/ QUOTE ] I thought you were goinng too say something about small birds building nest in the box. Getting in through the port tubes. LOL.

7. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

8. Greg72

Patrick,

Well it sure sounds like you've gotten yourself wrapped up in your own terminology there! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

There are two different topics here. The first is the concept of creating sound pressure in an enclosed vehicle vs. an open vehicle. This one is a REAL issue....certainly it will take more output from the subs to give the same "apparent loudness" in an open top vehicle.

The second issue..."ported boxes being good only for enclosed vehicles" is NOT real. In fact, I will argue that it is 100% backwards....

A ported box is nothing more than a box which has been optimized to produce additional sound pressure at it's "tuned" frequency by way of an open port. This allows the box to breathe deeper, and move more air....which produces more sound pressure. End of story.

Ported boxes have other limitations because of their design (frequency response isn't as smooth, lack of driver control below the tuned frequency, etc) but they EXCEL at producing higher sound pressure levels than a sealed box could...and usually with less amplifier power required too.

Ported boxes in an open top vehicle CAN sound amazing...if you haven't already visted my photo gallery, I'd encourage you to take a look at the boxes I've built for my '72. It is possible to build clean, tight ported boxes and integrate them nicely into a small amount of space. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

lol
    i stand corrected
    /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

I don't know but in my situation a ported box and a bandpass didn't cut it, I was told to and built a downfiring enclosure that besides getting more tight/accurate bass out of 3 subs it houses the amp thus keeping it out of view especially topless.. Of course it all depends on taste but I've been toying with this since I bought the Blazer brand new in 89 and this is the best response as of yet.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Greg72

So what are you running now......ported, or bandpass???