Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Topless people, look here! ???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Emmettology 101, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

See any problems with running topless without a tailgate? I am going to yank the top tonight and the gate over the weekend or next week. I have a little rot on the floor where the corigated metal connects to the tailpan, but that is it. All the body mounts are solid and intact....

So whats your comments? Think I will tweek the quarters at all when wheeling?

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Steve put in a cross bar on UAV for this reason i think. might want to shoot him a pm to be sure.

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I think the diagnolas will eventually need to be installed. Heck, I need the diagonals with my top on! My gate kept falling down when I get twisted up... /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Daily driving, no problem.

Take your doors off too! Just be aware all of your loose crap flying out when going down the freeway. I imagine you can get a ticket for it if your not aware...especially here in Cali... /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

4. Emmettology 101

I was thinking about that.. I have some 3/4' tubing I could use...

5. sluggo45acp

sluggo45acp 1/2 ton status

Ive been running topless without a tailgate for about 8 months now without any problems. Ive had it twisted up where I couldnt open the door and havnt noticed any "tweeking" on the quarter panels.

6. Emmettology 101

Have you tried putting the topper back on? Does it line up ok?
    Also, have any floor rot?

7. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

do as mentioned above and you should have no problems.

i run doorless, no top, and no tailgate and the body flex is incredible. talk about pops in your cab, but after awhile mine went away. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

anyways after viewing some video i could see the roof of my cab just bend and twist, but no problems i could see from it. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. sluggo45acp

sluggo45acp 1/2 ton status

I put the hardtop back on one time before i got rid of it and didnt have any alignment problems but I dont have any floor rot either.

9. Emmettology 101

Are you running diagnols or some sort of bracing? Was there any length of time where you ran no top and no gate without bracing? Have you tried putting the topper on?

I want to run with no top or gate up until it starts getting cold or I get the funds for a soft top.. But if I have to I may run the hard top for the winter and dont want to tweak it to where I cnat get it back on...

10. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

no tailgate i'm going on about a year and a half. i took off my doors just this summer. what i haven't done was put my top back on since i took off about 2 years ago. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

in this picture you can see a cross brace i used. it's mounted to the bolt holes where the gate latches on to.

11. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Eventually, the 'bed' sides will splay \_/ <~like that. The tailgate keeps it from doing that. You might do something to strengthen that like gusset the bed sides to the bed, or do like steve and have a bar inplace of the tailgate.

12. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I forgot, I have a 1 1/2" square tube going behind the seat holding the frame-rails together. This is serving double duty as a spare tire carrier. I got to build me a bumper carrier... someday.

13. dduckblazer

dduckblazer Registered Member

Doors are not needed for leagl driving in Kali. Take it all off doors, top, tali gate, front hood. I drove without front hood for three weeks in L.A. Checked with PD about it. It was ok /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
    Sorrey for getting off the topic

14. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Hmmmm...wonder if it's legal here too? If that is the case, then bye bye doors and tailgate! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

15. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

My problem will be when all my crap flys out going down the hiway. I am sure CHP won't like it.

I go through this every spring when I take the TOPoff. My first drive down the freeway, and swoosh... WTF was THAT?!?! More trash goes out. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

I TRY to clean it before I go... I swear. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif
    I don't want to be the poster child for the Anti-recreationalist.

16. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

To run without doors and be totally legal in Cali, ya just need a mirror on the drivers side. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

17. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I saw a late model Heep yesterday that use a 4" fisheye spot with double side tape to the door jam as his driverside mirror.

18. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    Been running topless and gateless for 9 months now.The body does flex alot more.The cab made all kinds of sounds after the last rock crawling trail.I think you will need some kind of bed brace going from the bed rails to the floor/frame.I'll be installing a full cage tied to the frame soon.