Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Topless

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CAPTAINK5-CT, Jun 8, 2001.

1. CAPTAINK5-CT

CAPTAINK5-CT 1/2 ton status

Looking for suggestions. I'm thinking of taking the top off, but I can't afford a soft top. I was wondering what other poor soles do with their tops off when it rains. I was thinking of getting a tarp measured to just about fit and use heavy duty magnets to hold it in place while parked. I do plan on cutting my extra hard top and trying to find a boat top maker to rig something up, but that's down the road and I'm ready to go topless now. Any thoughts?

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I haven't taken the top off this year yet because I need to finish some other projects on the truck first, but last year the top was off for a long time. I just got a big tarp and tied it down with bungy cords. This year I'm going to make a wood support thing to sit on top of my rollcage...that way when it rains, the tarp won't sag down in the middle.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. ChrisM72beast

ChrisM72beast 1/2 ton status

I get wet! LOL One thing I do is to get large plastic that you would use for painting and cover her that way. Also I try to park under a tree with as many leaves as possible. Sounds funny but it acts as a canopy.

Stay dry

4. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

i say just get a tarp but make sure that when its on that it has no flat spots because those will fill with water, it should be rigged up so that the water will run off it and not pool. use a wood frame or pvc pipe for a skeleton. The pipe is very light and you can get elbow joints for it

Check out my 73 K5 http://members.theglobe.com/xnoahx/73k5.htm

5. CAPTAINK5-CT

Thanks for the tips. I think I'm gonna go for it.

6. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

It really is worth it. Its like driving a different truck when you pull the top off. Way more fun.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

7. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I have a tarp that goes from over the cab to over the tailgate and both siderails. I just lay out the tarp half way over the cab, open the doors and shut them over the tarp. keeps it taught so the winds doesn't blow under it. Then at the rear I just tuck it between the bumper and the body and it stays taught and the water rolls right off. Keep the tarp in the back all the time and your set. Takes about 3 min to put on.

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>SEMPER FI TO MY BLAZER

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Cut your extra top then Hit Northern and buy a Snap kit and a $15 dollar canvas tarp. Then hit Home depot and buy a peice of aluminum L channel and a couple peices of Conduit. If you have the measurement with you you can grab a conduit bender off the shelf and bend it right there in the store. Total cost $35 with the snap kit if you have straps. Couple stra and a couplke bungee's to keep it tight and your good to go.
    Then hit K-Marts and go to the garden section where they sell patio furnature. They will have covers that you can put over the seats to keep them dry if you got to drive in the rain. Yank the carpet and side pannels for the summer so they don't get wet.
    Another option I'm concidering if I get this spare top I have a line on is cutting out the center of the top, poping out the windows so I just have a skelton. Then put snaps on it and again just use the tarps. I will have to figure out a way to tension it but that should be no big deal. Quick trip to the Cloth store and you can get nylon web buckles. The bonus is no holes drillind in the body and the rear window will still seal like normal.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

9. blazerbum

blazerbum Registered Member

i went down to the local fabric spot bought some vinal and made a bikini with some snaps and zip ties works reall well

10. shane

shane 1/2 ton status

Check out a local upholstery shop, they might be able to make you a fast back style tonneau cover on the cheap, just attach with snaps.

Never argue with idiots; They will drag you down to their level and beat you up with experience [​IMG]

11. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

I just installed my Kayline top and took a bunch of pictures and measurements that I am working on to get Steve to post on the site. That way others who want the measurements can take them to a boat shop and have one custom made. I'm working on it...

12. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I just used a tarp tied down with bungees and put two trashcans in the bed so it didn't sag. I also used the park-under-a-big-tree trick and it survived two monsoon-like storms.

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "The longer you wait in line, the greater the liklihood that you are standing in the wrong line." [​IMG]

13. CAPTAINK5-CT

Do you have any pics?

14. blazerbum

blazerbum Registered Member

hey check your private messages blazerbum

15. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

2 trash cans in the bed?????
    ROFLMFAO!!

anyway, it don't rain in california from may till november, so i just drive.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by delta9blazer on 06/12/01 02:07 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

16. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I like that....trashcans...the only problem with parking under trees is them birds..

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

17. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

If you're on the road, the faster you drive the drier you stay. If you're stuck in traffic, you can fasion a "driving" top with a tarp, bungees, and duct tape that works well up to around 35 MPH. Just make sure that your mirrors and taillights are unobstructed.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

18. grk76

grk76 Registered Member

A friend of mine bought an old jeep soft top and fram off of ebay. He paid about $100 fro it an dthen bought some snaps at Home depot. It took a couple of hours to fit it right, but it works very well. he says that it will hold up to about 80mph.