Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. chevyracefan

chevyracefan Newbie

i will be purchasing a blazer/jimmy in the near future and have a question.i really prefer the 69-72 body style but i am moving to florida.i have seen several full convertibles in 69-72 on this web page.my ? is once you do a full convertible job on these years is it possible to get a full replacement hardtop?

2. 79Cheyenne

79Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

69 to 72 <font color=red>ARE <font color=black>full convertables, it is the new ones 76 and up that require the cutting.

<font color=orange>1979 BLAZER Cheyenne[​IMG]

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Hartops were never made after 72, so they are getting hard to find. I would get a truck with a hardtop because then you have one, and softops are easy to get new or used. There's a few things you should be aware of when you switch to softop. The vehicle is now open to the elements, and you need to remove all things that can be damaged by moisture. Carpet is a no-no because it absorbs and traps water. Roll-on bedliners are perfect replacements. the stereo can also be damaged by water. Most companys make water resistsant speakers that would be a good idea. What you do with the hardtop when it is off is very inmportant. They can't suport themselves, so you need to make a dolly to suport it properly. check out http://www.coloradok5.com/topstorage.htm for an example.
    [​IMG]

4. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

topless, but no support?

those ideas don't address the issue of the top supporting itself. the dolly contacts the top exactly where the floor would if it were on the ground, and the pulleys only seem to support it at the corners.
    a friend with a larger mouth than vocabulary told me my top would get f*cked up if i let it sit on the ground. i'm not sure if he's a reliable source, though.
    can i leave my top on the ground without any interior support?

by the way, soft-top, shmoft-top. go topless anyway.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

5. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Actually, '69-'75 have completely removeable tops. I set my '74 top on the ground all the time....seems no worse for wear. Makes the grass yellow underneath though!

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

6. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Re: topless, but no support?

I suppose if you were really worried about it you could just bolt two 2x4's across the front and rear using the holes on the truck as a measurement on where to drill the holes in the wood. I highly doubt there would be any flex in that top though anyway, but if you did do the 2x4 thing you're only 4 casters away from it being a dolly by itself...

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado (a.k.a. ThunderDog)