Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

topper vent? sunroof?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mico85K5, Apr 17, 2000.

1. mico85K5

mico85K5 Registered Member

My topper has solid side windows and I don't have air conditioning. I can't really take the top off (security) plus my business is advertised on the windows. I am considering either a vent type (square as seen on alot of ram chargers) or a moon roof I can pop up and let some of that hot air out (truck is black). Has anyone installed this type of vent or sunroof in their topper?
    How hard, what costs, did it work to get air for people riding in the back (as well as letting the rear window down).

Driving your blazer=FUN!

2. I am in the same situtation, I have thought about all of the above, but have not tried anything yet...glad you asked the question, I guess we just wait for other input.

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

3. mico85K5

I just came back from the RV store where I was looking at rv vents (actually blow air in + out). The cheapest blowing vent was $120.00 and only came in white (I'de like the smoke-black color). Just the vent set-up itself (crank and all) was $25.00 and only came in white (You can get a replacement vent cover in black though for $10.00 more).
    Does anyone know of a powered unit cheaper than this (its basically just a fan)? What about a very small roof-mounted ac unit?

Hot and its not even May!

Driving your blazer=FUN!

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

If you want to go the JC Whitney route, they have those powered vents, probably for less than $120.
    As for cutting a hole in the top, I'd personally be VERY reluctant to do that. In a previous thread, body flex was discussed with and without the top on, and the majority seemed to agree that the top does see quite a bit of stress as the truck flexes while offroad. If you cut the fiberglass, you've just disturbed the fiber layup pattern, made a huge area for delamination to start, and generally compromised the strength of the top. It's not like metal where you just make round corners and everything will be OK.
    The wouldn't-cut-a-hole-in-my-top position is just my opinion, but the fiberglass stuff is fact.

That's my 2 cents...

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

5. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Got to agree with you jarhead, I would not cut holes in the top, might try going to the wrecking yards and find a set of sliding glass windows and replace the solid ones.

Semper Fi Brother...

6. 82K5

82K5 1/2 ton status

i'm in the same boat. are you talking about keeping it aired out when your gone, or when you are driving it. i just open the 2 front windows and roll down the back window when i'm driving it. keeps the air flowing real good. btw, my topper is white, a little cooler than a black one.

Phil
    82K5

7. mico85K5

Thanks, I never considered the delamination issue...

Driving your blazer=FUN!