Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Topper Vent Window Fasterner Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rolled, May 23, 2004.

1. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I spotted a pair of vent windows (or whatever they are called) and the wrecking yard today and I am in need of a pair. I need to know what type of screw/bolt holds them in. From looking at mine, it lloks like there is two screws on the top and bottom.

I want to bring the minimum number of tools with me so could somebody tell me what tool I need to get these off? Maybe an allen head, phillips, or even a bolt...

I guess I should have got dirty and climed in to look /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Pay for the shipping and you can have mine for free. PM me if you want them...

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you need the window hinges as well, all I can say is good luck.

This is one of the reasons I ditched the sliders, GM used tiny steel screws to hold that setup together, (at least the to set hinge tension) and since they are screwed into aluminum, every time I tried to remove them, the heads just stripped.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep. Someone screwed the pooch big time when they "designed" that. Hmm, let's connect two dissimilar metals in a place where they are certain to get wet. Once the electrolytic action gets started there ain't no easy way to remove those screws ever again. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

5. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help guys. I'll test my luck and see if I can get them out, if not, I'll PM you for yours /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

And yes, I need hinges too!