Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

topside creeper?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

2. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Never seen one of those before. Looks like it could be really handy.

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Looks cool but not worth the $200 :)

4. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I think ill keep the $200 and continue to just sit in my engine compartment when working. Good idea, but a lot of money for what you get.

5. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I used to sit in my engine compartment, until I pulled my inner fenders. Now I just sit on the tires. Its going to suck when I put them bak on but thinking of a way to make them easily removable so I can crawl in there and do maintenance.

Thats cool, but I could only imagine how your calfs would feel after 45 minutes or so.

6. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I've found a standing on a work bench makes it much easier to get at things in the engine compartment. :D

7. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

ive spent many hours sitting on the fenders, cafefully placing my feet where i wont break something, straining and bending over the engine. this is usually when im working around the dist. or TBI. even when its something i can reach from the outside, i usually have to stand on a stool, or balance on the front tire.

when i had my truck worked on a couple years back the mechanic used something similar to this, he was trying to find an intermitted short by the dist., i wish they werent 200, but i think its worth it if your like me and hate to do anything towards the back of the engine. northern actually has the cheapest price, they sell for 250-350 at other online parts stores.

i think im going to break down and buy one finally. ive got all my CFMtech parts,plugs and wires waiting on the shelf, and i'd rather not spend a weekend hunched over under the hood.

8. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

Dude, that is sweet...i gotta have 1 of those as much as i love to climb into my engine and tweak the carburetion

9. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Just make one yourself. I have wanted one of these too due to a bad back even sitting on the fenders hunched over can be painful. Laying down would be much more comfy. Go to home depot and buy some 2x4s, casters, bolts, nails etc and you could make one made of wood that can be disassembled for easy storage for under $100.

10. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

A friend of mine works at the county's garage. He says they have one, the way he describes theirs though, the 'plank' is long enough that you can fully lay on it, and go 'superman' style over the engine. When I was puttin my engine in, doin wiring and all that other crap, I was about ready to go buy one, till I realized I didnt have any $$ because of the engine haha.

11. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

yea the way they work is that your weight is not on your legs but transfered to your abdomen and chest. I hear they are very comortable but I dont hink the price tag is worth it. It would be nice to have one when working on your carb or replacing the cap/rotor, etc.

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I saw one of the full lay down ones in Four Wheeler once. Gale Banks Engineering said they innovated it(yeah right). My biggest issue leaning under the hood is bending my knees the wrong way. Stretching for so long makes them start to really hurt.

13. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

you've given me an idea. i've got a couple junk creepers that have busted casters, i could use one of those, some scrap metal,and build one out of steel. might not even need wheels if its light enough, it would be more stable and cheaper. i'll have to see what kind of material we got in the scrap pile.

i bet a home made version using a standard creeper would be more comfy than the one i linked to. the topsider creeper has a pretty short padded section. thanks for the brianstorm :waytogo:

14. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I'm short. I used to lay a plank from fender to fender, but it blocks things I needed to get to. This solves it. Worth the money to me. I'm getting one. Right now. :cool1: One of these days you're gonna just have to drop by Jon - I'll just have too many toys for you to resist. :D

15. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

My origional idea after seeing the one in Northern Auto was to do one in metal that would fold up like some of the engine hoists I have seen but the more I thought about it it seems to be easier to build with wood. Moajor thought there is that I don't have any scrap metal or access to a welder so I would have to buy everything and the cost of steel if nuts. But using some 2x4s, plywood, bolts, and some casters I think I can make something custom made for me and what is comfy to use plus if not fold up at least easy to disassemble and store easily in 2-3 sections basically the base, ladder, and deck to lay on. Plus by making it at home it can be made to fit your particular vehicle and needs.

16. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I've got one and I love it! Best money a large american ever spent. :)

John