Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Torch pics, with a new update at the bottom

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Sep 19, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[​IMG] [​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif FIRE FIRE FIRE!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

WOOHOO its time to cut some stuff up, anyone have webpages for fun stuff to do with torches?
    I got it get my rear springs off and to cut up some angle iron! OH I have to heatup my steering arm to get the damn thing off too! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

Re: New toy with pics and questions!

then things is sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Careful with the steering arm, don't fry your balljoints.

4. jjlaughner

Well no big fires, just a couple small ones and no big booms as I was worried might happen cutting the rear springs off. After about 45 minutes of heating the steering arm it still would not come off (lets recap... I sent 6hours taking the front springs off and replacing them and then 4 hours trying to get the steering arm off witha 2lb hammer and punch... THen I heated it up a little with a propane torch just to get the one back washer out... Then, I bought the torch above to heat the arm up cherry red in the hopes it would just 'POP' off), and [drum roll please] this is the reason I should NOT have a torch /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif,

I cut the B!TCH-AZZ off! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All is well, replace one stud and buy two new washers!
    Ball joint is fine, just needs some new grease /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Cut most of the way threw then punched it out with a chizle /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. Re: New toy with pics and questions!

Remember that metal expands and contracts when heated and cooled, so your ball joints may not be "Balls" anymore !! They might be "Egg Joints" !! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Damn man..you're collecting tools as fast as I am /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Most ball joints have nylon or rubber and a spring inside to keep them pre-loaded and tight---we fry em all the time when the press in type dont stay in the a-frame hole and we try to tack weld them in--usually requires a new a-frame and another new ball joint to fix it right.Sometimes you get lucky and it works ok,but we always tell customers the cheep way aint always cheaper! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

8. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    Damn man..you're collecting tools as fast as I am /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I would suspect by the end of the year I'll have a drill press and one of those 31" lift floor jacks from harbor freight. IF (big if) we get the project house sold we are going to build a pole barn (3bays gravel uninsulated, 2 bays with cement and heated) so I'm also going for a 2 post lift by spring! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    Remember that metal expands and contracts when heated and cooled, so your ball joints may not be "Balls" anymore !! They might be "Egg Joints" !! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah in a month or so when I regear the front end I might go head and replace it if its riding funny /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Watching all the grease boil out of it I thought about that too. I kept it cooled with the garden hose (80'+ deep well so the water coming up is a nice 50deg) so we heated a little beat on the arm and cooled it, repete, repete, got PO'ed cut one section cooled removed chunk with chizzle, cut section section, cooled and chizzled. Then after about a total of 6 hours beating the arm it finally came off.
    It only took me 6 hours to get the old front springs off, frame bushings out, new frame bushings, shackles, and the new front springs installed and everything torqued down! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

So total I have about 8hours in the front springs, bushings and painting.
    6 hours on the arm (and thats without drilling and tapping for the new stud!) /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

10. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Looks good!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Be careful...without a cart...
    I've seen bottles FLY!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

At least chain them to a wall!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

Kill anyone with those bottles yet? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Chain those things to something!

12. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

Good setup. I bought a $20 hand truck from Lowe's and strapped my tanks to it with a ratchet strap. Nice and portable now. I also bolted an ammo can to one of the back braces and filled it with all of my cutting tips, welding tips, chalk, striker, tip cleaners, etc... It works nicely. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

what size bottles are those. I just bought a cutting torch setup myself and I kinda wanted some smaller bottles like q's or something like that for portability.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I definitely would have removed the axle from the vehicle. I have never sucessfully got an arm off with the axle on the vehicle.

And...every time I've ever used a torch, I've destroyed the balljoints.

15. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

anybody familiar with the tank sizes? What would be the tank letter for about a 3 foot tall 7" diameter tank?

16. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Q size tanks, thats what I got, perfect for small shop use.

17. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Well no big fires, just a couple small ones and no big booms as I was worried might happen cutting the rear springs off. After about 45 minutes of heating the steering arm it still would not come off (lets recap... I sent 6hours taking the front springs off and replacing them and then 4 hours trying to get the steering arm off witha 2lb hammer and punch... THen I heated it up a little with a propane torch just to get the one back washer out... Then, I bought the torch above to heat the arm up cherry red in the hopes it would just 'POP' off), and [drum roll please] this is the reason I should NOT have a torch /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif,

I cut the B!TCH-AZZ off! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All is well, replace one stud and buy two new washers!
    Ball joint is fine, just needs some new grease /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Cut most of the way threw then punched it out with a chizle /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you try to get that arm off with the hub removed? I tried for 4 hours to get it off with the hub on. Once removed it was about a 45 min job with a BFH and a couple different sized chizles.

BTW nice setup /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I have one but am about as good at using it as I am speaking chinese. I just melt large chunks off at a time. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

18. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Wow, it looks really sweet under there now! Everything is all clean and new! Someday I'll be able to afford a torch.

19. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    Looks good!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Be careful...without a cart...
    I've seen bottles FLY!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

At least chain them to a wall!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Took a couple days but we did have this cart in mind, still need to fasten the tool box to the back

20. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

Nice, looks like mine now. It's always a good idea to keep the regulators off of the tanks and the covers over the valves when you won't be using them for a while. I haven't seen it personally, but I hear it's a freakin' nightmare to have a bottle fall over and get the valve knocked off. I have heard of them going thru walls, breaking legs, and worse. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif My $.02