Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Torch question! What should these be set at?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Jan 8, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Acyt and oxy settings? anyone?

We went threw 3 oxy tanks to the one acyt tank /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

settings are 40-45 and 5-7 psi /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    book says 35 and 5 but when you start cutting it pops and goes out, we bumped up the oxygen and it cuts better but still pops and goes out from time to time
    [​IMG]

Just checking seeing if I'm doing something wrong? And yes they are strapped on a cart now /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. seawolf15

seawolf15 Newbie

O2 at 20 to 25psig.
    Acetylene at 4 or 5 psig.
    Light it with the Acetylene then bleed in the O2.
    If your doing cutting set the O2 by looking at the 4 blue flames. They should be about .75 inches long. The best heat is just above the tip of the blue flames.
    Use the O2 bleed lever to blow away the hot metal as you work forward.

If it doesn’t cut right, then you need a bigger torch or tip.

3. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

If it pops and blows out make sure that the tip is clean, all the little holes for the oxy and the bigger hole for the acet should be clean and open.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i always run my O2 at 40 and my acetylene at 9, popping out is usually either because of a couple or few of the holes are plugged in tip, or are cutting too close to metal, tanks dont last as long as would like them to, hehe

good luck

5. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Acyt and oxy settings? anyone?

We went threw 3 oxy tanks to the one acyt tank /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

settings are 40-45 and 5-7 psi /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    book says 35 and 5 but when you start cutting it pops and goes out, we bumped up the oxygen and it cuts better but still pops and goes out from time to time
    [​IMG]

Just checking seeing if I'm doing something wrong? And yes they are strapped on a cart now /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Is that the tip you're using to cut with?

6. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree with seawolf15 .... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    for brazing/soldering tip..

For a cutting torch...7 and 25... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    Is that the tip you're using to cut with?

[/ QUOTE ]

no thats the heating tip for trying to take off my steering arm! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif That would be a problem otherwise /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    [​IMG]

8. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I figured as much /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. JK5

[ QUOTE ]
    no thats the heating tip for trying to take off my steering arm!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd break-out the cutting torch for that... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    A brazing torch...is for low heat applications..

10. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

as others said, popping is generally a dirty tip. buy tip cleaners if it didn't come with them.

and blowing thru O2 more than acetylene is very, very common. especially if doing alot of cutting. also, rosebud tips are invaluable for heating..

have fun /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif as Beavis would say "FIRE, FIRE, FIRE!!!!"

11. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

If it pops and goes out you need a bigger tip, which shouldn't be a problem for you with the torch pictured, unless you are cutting really big stuff.

I've seen mechanics and carpenters at work do a little trick that works sometimes. If the tip gets clogged, take a scrap piece of wood(usually a 2x4) and with the torch set like you are going to cut, press the O2 lever all the way and drag the tip across the wood with the tip touching the wood. It will pop and try to go out but if you do it fast enough sometimes it will blow the crap out of the tip. It works for me sometimes and gets you back to cutting instead of messin around with a tip cleaner.

Just something for those that use a torch to try. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. JK5

[ QUOTE ]
    I've seen mechanics and carpenters at work do a little trick that works sometimes. If the tip gets clogged, take a scrap piece of wood(usually a 2x4) and with the torch set like you are going to cut, press the O2 lever all the way and drag the tip across the wood with the tip touching the wood. It will pop and try to go out but if you do it fast enough sometimes it will blow the crap out of the tip. It works for me sometimes and gets you back to cutting instead of messin around with a tip cleaner.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...yep...that works.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    no thats the heating tip for trying to take off my steering arm!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd break-out the cutting torch for that... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    A brazing torch...is for low heat applications..

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I ended up having to do the torch thing, but I got carried away and had to replace the studs and ball joints
    pic

14. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

You should really have a way to secure those bottles. It's waaaaaaay too easy to tip one of those bottles over in the middle of the floor like that.

15. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    You should really have a way to secure those bottles. It's waaaaaaay too easy to tip one of those bottles over in the middle of the floor like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Already taken car of, the second day we had them we had them ona kart to roll in and out of the garage /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. JK5

[ QUOTE ]
    I ended up having to do the torch thing, but I got carried away and had to replace the studs and ball joints

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey...play around..that's how I learned..
    BUT..I learned some tips guys that were pretty handy with a HEAT WRENCH!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Already taken car of, the second day we had them we had them ona kart to roll in and out of the garage

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought we had that covered... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    I've seen a bottle bounce around a shop before..
    it's NOT a pretty site.. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

17. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Oxygen I run at 40 minimum
    Acetylene I run at 7, 10 max if using a rosebud.

Generally popping and going out with a clean tip is caused by not enough fuel for the tip size. Next time that happens turn up the acetylene a little and then re-adjust the oxygen to suit.

Best thing for a dirty tip is tip cleaners...

On a cutting tip you have the center oxygen hole (provides the stream of pure oxygen for cutting) and a ring of smaller holes for mixed oxy/fuel. If the tip is clean and adjusted right each of the outer holes will produce a cone of blue flame. It should look like a little crown. Adjust the oxygen until the little blue cones come into sharp focus. Now hit the oxygen bar...the flame should not change much, but you should see a long stream of oxygen. That stream should be quite long (4-6") and also be relatively sharply defined. The more consistant and sharply defined the cleaner it'll cut.

If you're using acetylene watch the other half of the guage as it gets nearer to empty. At 15 psi on the torch side it'll get unstable. If the torch side is run at anything more than 1/7th the remaining volume it'll get unstable. For that reason you'll see the 'red zone' on the regulator and for the same reason one the other side of the guage reads around 50 psi remianing volume it's time for a refill. You never run an acetylene cylinder completely empty.

The cylinder is partilly filled with acetone, and you don't want to draw any of that up through the torch head.

Also you should be running anti flash valves (can't think of the correct term at the moment) at the bottles. This prevents any burn back from reaching the cylinders themselves. They are just little cartridges that screw inline with the torch lines. Basically a glorified 'one way' valve.

Rene

18. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

I was under the impression that all new regulators had anti-flash valves on them.

19. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

They might...our torches at work have separate valves, so I thought it pertinent enough to mention. FWIW our regulators are only 3 years old.

Rene

20. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    I was under the impression that all new regulators had anti-flash valves on them.

[/ QUOTE ]

mine dont... its a cheaper kit froma discount tool company

Yeah the tip definatly needs cleaned /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif