Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tore a '91 1 ton apart yesterday...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dyeager535, Aug 26, 2003.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Tore a \'91 1 ton apart yesterday...

Figured I'd post a few "tidbits" that I found while ripping this rig apart.

It was a SRW 3+3. 454/4L80E/205/4.10's. Had the funny transmission crossmember that hangs lower on one side. Short adapter. Fixed yoke 205, with the CV (?) joint front shaft. Hydroboost.

Hydroboost with power steering cooler. Cooler was weird in my opinion....no fins, just a few extra lengths of pipe underneath the radiator. Added capacity more than anything if you ask me.

Knock sensor is about the same location as on a SBC, right near the forward end (as installed) of the starter. Oil pressure sender/switch (3 prong) is located on the drivers side lower edge of the timing chain cover.

Fuel lines at the tanks were hose clamped. Not going to say they were factory though, as the clamps didn't look original, and the lines looked newer. But the sending unit fittings aren't threaded like the ones I've seen, so who knows?

205 has both the 4wd indicator switch, as well as the toner ring setup. No more searching for that stuff for me! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyone have any questions on the 1 ton that could use clarifying? (as in construction, or what parts it had) My dad is heading back over there tomorrow to take the last of the TBI stuff off of it. No parts left on it, as I grabbed JUST about everything I could. Guy was loading it up on a flatbed when I left, so there is no way to get under it again.

Just thought I'd post that info while its still in my head.

Also got a picture of the emissions label of a 1990 350 Suburban, so that will be up soon for all to use.

2. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Re: Tore a \'91 1 ton apart yesterday...

One question...why the hell did you tear a truck like that apart /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i wanna know why also,

p/s coolers always been just extra steel line on GM vehicles, anyone can make same thing for a few bucks

good luck

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    One question...why the hell did you tear a truck like that apart

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean tear a truck like that apart? At least I used tools. Lets just say the bed rail was seperated from the bed, and it wasn't done with tools. You want to see mother natures wrath, this truck took it.

Can only speculate on what really happened, but imagine a tree with a 5 foot diameter trunk falling directly on top of the truck from rear to front. The cab roof was touching the lower cushion of the front seat, and all pillars and doors were bent at more than a 90* angle inwards. Frame bent in multiple locations, transmission/t-case adapter broken in half, as well as the 4L80E output shaft. Both rear springs were snapped at the hangars. Water pump shattered and in pieces, front sheetmetal had to be removed with a chain and a truck.

Luckily everything underneath (besides the adapter and frame) was in really good shape.

I've got pictures, but it will be some time before I can get them up. I don't know as you would find a truck with a body in worse shape except if it burned or went head on with a semi.

You feel bad hearing about trucks like this being torn apart, but this particular truck could never have been put back on the road.

5. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I figured something had happened like that. Cause no one would let one of those trucks just get taken apart /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Damn sounds like that truck was DONE!! Good find though!!/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Can only speculate on what really happened, but imagine a tree with a 5 foot diameter trunk falling directly on top of the truck from rear to front. The cab roof was touching the lower cushion of the front seat, and all pillars and doors were bent at more than a 90* angle inwards. Frame bent in multiple locations, transmission/t-case adapter broken in half, as well as the 4L80E output shaft. Both rear springs were snapped at the hangars. Water pump shattered and in pieces, front sheetmetal had to be removed with a chain and a truck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those industrial accidents are gruesome aren't they? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I've seen a '98 K3500 pipeline truck that they dropped a pipe on /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Also a '95 F250 train wreck /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif and a F550SD that got run over by one of those 4-story-tall mining dumptrucks /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Its too bad so much of the drivetrain is busted up /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Hope you make good on it nonetheless. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif