Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tornado Air Assist

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5wantabe, Sep 24, 2001.

1. k5wantabe

k5wantabe Registered Member

I saw the ad on tv for the Tornado. It is an add-on that goes in the air housing inside the air filter, and sits over the carb.. Suspose to swirl the air to get a better mixture and more horse power and better milage. Any body have one? Wonder if it really works?

'88 Jimmy 350/700r4 3.73's 32in Maypops

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Please do a search on this... it's been brought up a few times.... [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    &lt;&gt;&lt; PSALMS 23 &gt;&lt;&gt;

3. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Look out ! You're about to get slammed over and over and over and over .......

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> BOW CHICKA BOW WOW !

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

If it seems to good to be true it prob. is. I have never seen one 1st hand, and prob never will but I cant see where putting something in the airfilter That will block the air and swirl it will give any gain. Yes a swirl will help I guess but it has to impede air flow to do so. I personnaly like the K&amp;N filter lid, straight down air flow. I havent got 1 but it looks like a good idea.

I get all the exercise I need pushing my luck! [​IMG]

5. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Yes, my friend put one in his GMC truck and swears by it - I am still waiting on my free one here from work, as soon as I get it and put it in, I will let you know what I think...we sell them by the boatload here at work...

6. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Why would I get slammed over and over and over?

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    &lt;&gt;&lt; PSALMS 23 &gt;&lt;&gt;

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Kpanza
    Which do you sell at work the K&amp;N X-stream or the Tornado?
    A know a guy who has the K&amp;N X-stream on his 69 mustang open road race car. He likes it a lot. said it made a good improvement over just using his regular K&amp;N open element. But he's running a very hot 351 with a 11:1 CR in a 160 mph plus street machine.
    As for the Tornado I think it is just a gimmick other wise they wouldn't have to advertise on those late nite infomercials with all the other wonder junk.
    I always thought that you made more power by straightining out the air flow. Not by swirling it all up. The Tornado seems kind of Bass Ackwards to me. Cool name though.
    Can I interest anyone in a magnet for their gas line to go with that Tornado? Its suposted to give you 100 miles to the gallon.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze</a>
    <font color=blue>NEVADA: Where the pavement ends, and the West begins.</font color=blue>

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

yeah it works great. adds about 3 mpg and 20 horsepower. If you stack 3 on top of each other and cut a hole in your hood, you get instant 60 hp, but the mileage is cut to 2 mpg increase due to worse aerodynamics. Hope to help.

Bryan
    BAHAHAHAHA

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>THE OFF- ROAD GOES ON FOREVER AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS!!
    </font color=red>

9. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Thunder,

We sell both of those here at work, but the Tornados are flying out of here! We don't get too many returns, so that says something I guess (what exactly I don't know?)

Like I said, as soon as I get mine, I will share my results - positive or negative...

10. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I think the theory behind the Tornado is that turbulent air results in more consistent air-fuel mixing. The turbulent air tends to hold the fuel in suspension better, resulting in less fuel puddling and "wetted walls" problems in the intake manifold. More fuel-air mixture into cylinder=more power.
    As I said, I THINK that's the theory. Now the possible negative issue I can think of:
    While it IS true that turbulent air results in more consistent air-fuel mixing, It is also true that turbulent air flows SLOWER than straight, undisturbed air. IIRC, air VELOCITY at slow engine speeds is what makes good torque, so the turbulence may actually cause a REDUCTION in power and fuel economy at slow engine speeds. It may only be noticeable on an engine dyno, though.

September 11, 2001--"A date which will live in infamy"