Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tornado Air Kit

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Alex, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Alex

Alex Registered Member

Has anyone installed a Tornado Air kit from www.tornadoair.com in his or her rig? I do not know if it is a gimmick or fact, but they claim the gadget improves horsepower and gas mileage by 10 to 20 percent. It works on the principle of generating an air vortex (similar to the throttle body spacer) to boost performance through the air intake tube or air cleaner. Like every other gimmick in the market I am a bit skeptical. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> As with most of these gimmicky little deals, my opinion is that if it really did much, the manufacturer would put them on there in the first place. </font color>

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

these air things are great for rebuilding your engine!

As soon as those plastic propellers shoot into your motor, you'll have to rebuild!

/sarcasm off

4. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I think you are thinking of a different gimmick. The Tornado isnt plastic, and it has no propellers. Its built of aluminum and is just a series of fins that direct air into a swirl pattern. The principle is there... Jet engines have 'vortex generators' that create a swirl pattern for efficiency, and some throttle body units have little swirls in them to creat the same thing. This swirl also speeds up the airflow as well. I have no doubt that this thing does help increase the airflow a bit, and therefore the efficiency a bit. That being said, my neighbor loaned me one to try on a trial basis to see if I wanted to buy it. I put it in and ran it for about 2 months. I didnt have to rebuild my engine. I didnt start using excess gas. But I also didnt notice any change at all in the way the engine ran. There was maybe a tiny bit of an increase in response... it seemed to rev up a tiny bit faster when I hit the gas, but that could have been any number of other factors as well. He wanted 40.00 for it, after paying near 80.00 for it in the first place. I really didnt think it was worth it. Maybe it would pay for itself in 10 yrs... you know .1 mpg increase. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyways, thats my review of the item!
    Good luck.
    Mike
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I would really like to believe their claims. After all, who wouldn't like to do 10 minutes of work to permanently gain MPG and HP?

They must use the same marketing firm as Jacobs Ignitions and that gas line magnet. The claims are just impossible.

Federal CAFE requirements are a huge deal to the automakers. If swirling air actually gave small cars 5mpg and large SUVs 2mpg, a tornado-like product would already be on everything. GM could use like 2,000,000 of the same one on multiple small cars and could probably get them for $1-$2.

The main reason everything is multi-point injection and distributorless ignition now is for fuel ecomony. They are paying more than a couple bucks in injectors alone to step up from throttle body injection. That's not even mentioning DOHC!

6. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

You make so much sence that it takes all the fun out of it. Now, maybe you could clarify this Santa Clause issue for me. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Tom

7. Ben Malinski

Ben Malinski Guest

They do not work! Trust me, it's all hype and sales pitches. If it did work, they would be on the evening news all over the world!
    I used them, 25 of them, when I was the maintenance manager for the City and County of Honolulu a few years ago. I contacted the company, the city agreed to pay for 25 of them with the following added: if the product does not perform as expected, items to be returned and a full refund given. The Tornado company instead sent them to use with no payment unless we were happy! I tested them on Chevys, Fords and Chrysler vehicles. We tried them out for five months. Cars, trucks and mini vans. Some vehicles were driven 24 hours a day. With the high cost of gasoline in Hawaii, we were hoping to lower the taxpayers fuel costs! It was not to be.
    I tried them on some military vehicles also. In a total of 45 vehicles, not once did the gas mileage improve. That's a fact. I called the company after 5 months, they asked that I give it a few more months. I did. Same results. The only one it help is the owner who is Korea because he sold thousands. We all know about koreans and the cheap products they make and market. But that's another story.

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Thanks for the real-world evaluation. That's good info.

I was laughing this morning because I saw the beginning of on infomercial about this on Speedvision this morning. They kept showing these two dyno readings showing 200hp before and 220 hp after. My guess is that the before test had something stuffed under the gas pedal or was done in weather 40 degrees hotter.

"Thousands of satisfied customers across the nation are fighting back against the high prices of gasoline..."
    Please. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The theory may indeed work on a jet engine. It has just one intake and one exhaust. Swirling the air in the correct direction may indeed help the air move through the spinning compressor blades more efficiently.

However, on our trucks the incoming air stream gets split off into 8 separate intake runners. Then it slams into a closed intake valve and has to wait for the valve to open. Once the intake valve opens, the shape of the intake port, cylinder head and piston determine how the air will flow and swirl. An $80 piece of stamped steel inserted in the intake tube some 5 feet upstream from there isn't going to make a difference. Especially if the air has to pass through an air filter after it goes through the miracle Tornado device. K&amp;N filters claim that their filters flow better by "straightening" the air stream. There went the swirl ya just paid $80 for. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Personally, it pisses me off that the Federal Trade Commission doesn't jump on these clowns the first day that they run one of these ads and put them out of business. I guess they're too busy making sure that Bill Gates doesn't take over the world. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

10. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, the Tornado device is installed after the air cleaner, so if the K&amp;N filter does indeed straighten it out, it could still be swirled by the tornado. It is also a proven fact that swirling the air (or fluid for that matter) will speed it up. If its sped up, it will help your engine breath. Thats why all the racers polish the runners of the intake, smooth out the valves, etc, to prevent turbulence and keep the airflow moving as fast as it can. Now, trust me, I am not defending this thing, like I said, I didnt notice anything while it was installed. But there is a theory there, and concievably it should work. But there are so many other factors that dont reinforce the swirling effect, such as the things you mentioned, that maybe they just didnt go far enough with the theory to make a difference. Basically, I think they made a cheap to build, technical sounding, logical device that they can charge whatever they want for, and hope to sell enough with few enough returns that they can make some quick cash. Thats where they succeed. Say 50000 people buy them. 5000 people 'feel' a difference. 25000 people dont feel any difference, but cant be bothered to return it. another 20000 people dont feel any difference, and return it. They have still made 30000 sales, and at 80.00 per unit... thats 2400000.00. It cost them maybe 5.00 per unit to make (from the looks of them). Thats 250000.00. That is a super easy profit of 2150000. And out of the coverage area of the infomercials that advertise them, I can believe that they sold way more than 50000. Multiply it out... they arent worried about whether or not they work or not. They are very happy! The government has made its cut from that, so why would they want to shut them down?

I wish I could come up with something like that!

Mike
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Right on. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I see so many of those lately, something that could work but someone just cuts corners, builds it cheap throw it in the market, and offer a money back guarantee, most people logically see that it should work, buy the product then unsatisfied decide that it's a pain to try and return it so they bite the bullet.
    It's a proven technique and more and more people are doing it.
    /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

12. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

i must chime in and add my experiences with both the tornado,and votex fuel saving devices, and also the ram air box kit. i have purchased all of these devices, used on at least two different vehicles and three differnt motors, and have had no results of added performance or fuel economey /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. i have had these, and have used them, id say, for two or three years.just want to get the word out and prevent any of my ck5 brothers/sisters from making the same costly mistake. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif