Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tornado Fuel saver?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Couldnt sleep, watching infomercials.... they claim to create a vortex , which mixes fuel and air better, increasing fuel economy. Some of their performance stats are kinda high. 21% on a honda civic? 15+ percent on a f150 v8? Just seems rather.. unlikely. Would be great if it was true.

Anyone use it?

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

here are some reviews:

- a more relevant comment for us (tested on tahoe)-

my only question is, why would all those car magazines and what not give it a thumbs up?

And yet another...

Worse yet, I dont see any lawsuits anywhere for it, for false advertisement.So then... what gives? If it indeed doesnt work, you could sue them for some bucks. THey showed what looks to be a late model impala (the RWD ones) and it showed a 20hp gain. Of course, it looks like the car was K&N filtercharger equipped.

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

It's a piece of poo. I got one for cheap on ebay years ago. It spins, and um, yeah it spins.... that's about all I can say it does.... do a search for it, I know there's other thread on it....

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Snake oil...

If it sounds too good to be true it usually is.

Rene

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I like the fact that the first time he tested one direction then the other. I know we go a couple hundred miles racing every weekend and one way is all up hill the other is all down, woohoo for the scientific method.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

All the Tornado does is suck money out of your wallet and deposit it into the wallet of the shysters that are selling it. If it was that easy to increase mileage by 21%, you can bet that the car companies would be installing it on every vehicle that rolls out the door. Popping in that $2 piece of stamped sheel metal would be way cheaper than designing new heads, EFI systems, cams, etc. in the quest for more power and fuel efficiency. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Their "vortex" theory doesn't hold water. What happens to the vortex when it gets to the air filter? (Ever seen the K&N ads, where they claim to increase airflow by "straightening" the air as it passes through?) Or when the air gets to the top of the intake manifold, where it now has to split of into 8 different directions to reach all 8 cylinders?

Our wonderful and illustrious Federal Trade Commission, which is supposed to protect consumers from such crapola, is pretty much useless. Perhaps after these guys have sold a few million of these things, and pocketed $100 million or so, then the FTC might finally catch up with them and fine them $10,000. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

maximum horsepower is created by straightening air flow through the full spectrum. Through the air filter, carb, intake(high rise = more top flow power), heads, exhaust, headers vs. manifolds, exhaust piping, mufflers. The idea that swirling air fixes something thats apparently broken is just dumb. Its like TBI spacers that are swirled. They really don't do much for you, Turbo City makes the best TBI spacer and its cause its a single plane that opens up both intake tracts to each other for actually better air flow.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

oh yes I have one sitting on the shelf in my garage for my 500HP Street/Strip Pontiac motor I am in the process of building, cause you know all the respectable speed shops recommend them...

11. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    oh yes I have one sitting on the shelf in my garage for my 500HP Street/Strip Pontiac motor I am in the process of building, cause you know all the respectable speed shops recommend them...

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

"Pssst, Yo kid, want to add another 50hp to that honda of yours? Add the Tornado and some chinese characters, and you'll be runnin 10's all day!"

12. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

yeah they're a gimmick, cause vehicles to run very lean because most installations are after the air intake sensor and block airflow