Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tornado Kills 17, Injures 200 in Ind., Ky.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cbbr, Nov 6, 2005.

1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hope you guys in the area are alright.

EVANSVILLE, Ind. Nov 6, 2005 — A tornado ripped across southwestern Indiana and northern Kentucky early Sunday, killing at least 17 people, wrecking homes and knocking out power to thousands, state and county authorities said.

The death toll was expected to grow, they said. About 200 people had been injured.

The tornado touched down near Henderson, Ky., and jumped the Ohio River into Indiana at around 2 a.m.

At least 12 people were killed in the Eastbrook Mobile Home Park in Evansville, said Annie Groves, chief deputy coroner for Vanderburgh County. She said she expected the death toll to grow because an unknown number of people were believed still trapped in debris at the park, which has about 350 homes.

"They were in trailer homes, homes that were just torn apart by the storm, so they're just now getting in there trying to find people," Groves said. "It's just terrible."

Indiana homeland security spokeswoman Pam Bright said five other people were confirmed dead in adjoining Warrick County, east of Evansville, where the Ohio River city of Newburgh was struck.

Bright said about 100 homes were destroyed and 125 others were damaged at the mobile home park.

Link. Link.

2. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

We got the southern tip of that storm about the same time. I got woke up around 2 a.m. to the sound of nickel size hail and the alarm on my Suburban going off.

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds rough. At least with hurricanes we kno that they are coming and have time to prepare. Or leave. Or both.

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

That storm ripped by us last night when I was at my parents' house. It blew a refrigerator on my dad's truck and spun his pontoon boat around and blew it across the yard. Fortunately, I don't think there were any injuries or deaths up here.