Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Torque converter/ 700r4 install question?????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by protechk5, Oct 22, 2004.

1. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

Alright cant get my 700r4 in /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif, i cant seem to line up my transmission up right. I have to tc in the transmission, i just put it on( theres no specail way it goes in the transmission is there?) I got the transmission lined up right and got 2 bolts in, but then i could not get the tc to line up with the flex plate, so i took it back out and srewed one bolt in the flex plate/tc but now i cant line up the transmission up right. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif someone tell me how to do this, what do you do first when bolting in a 700r4 and tc to the flex plate and block.

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

first off, did you put a quart in the converter? its required

ok next the converter just doesn't sit int there, put in over the inputshaft and turn it untill it goes all the way down, you should feel 3 "clunks." one is the converter alighning with the pump, second is the 1st splines aligning, the second is the 2nd splines aligning. then when you bolt it up, it will spin freely and will need to move the converter toward the motor a bit to reach the flex plate.

3. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

yeah i got the fuild in it, but i cant really tell if the converter is going all the way in ill try to feel for the 3 clunks, doesnt seem like the 2nd splines r lining up

4. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Typical GM flexplate condition after use.

On other GM autos I've rebuilt, if the converter is FULLY seated, I can either just get my thin fingers between the converter and the lower edge where the converter shield bolts up, or they won't fit at all. (as installed in vehicle, that would be the bottom of the converter)

A string up and behind the bellhousing, looped over one of the converter mounting points, works well to keep the converter from slipping forward when moving it, as long as your converter has the mounting lugs, and not "straps" where the converter to flexplate bolts go.