Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Torque converter bolt holes are not threaded?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, Oct 18, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

No!! Just when I get this transmission it, now I'm gonna have to possibly drop it to get the torque converter off. The bolt holes to mount it with the flywheel are not threaded? Is there a special racing stud or a nut that I can use so I won't have to drop it all again?

2. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

i am pretty sure the flex plate should be threaded or you can use a nut and a bolt, id double check, i havent played with an suto for a while /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. jmd

jmd Registered Member

Where did you buy that winner of a 'verter? /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

4. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

My stock converter had three tabs with holes in it. These would use a short bolt and nut. I put some loctite on the bolts. All is well.

Good luck.

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

The flex plate will not be threaded, if anything is threaded it's the converter.

A lot of aftermarket converters (especially those with higher than stock stall speeds) use lock nuts and bolts. It's perfectly fine and it will cut down on the possibility of striped threads (if the converter was threaded).

6. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

never fear...some converters are threaded and some arent.....just make sure you use loctite on them with nuts and bolts....

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I've had stock 350 converters that didn't have threaded tabs, and as far as locktite goes, I never used it and never had problems.
    But I know better be safe than sorry.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif