Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Torque converter choice

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JeffHK5, Mar 19, 2005.

1. JeffHK5

JeffHK5 1/2 ton status

I'm looking for opinions on the converter of choice for all around offroad use. It will be between a low(1,000-5,000) RPM EFIed 496 BBC and a TH-400. I run a 4.56 gear in my 60/14b and 39" boggers. There is also a ORD doubler for additonal reduction. The terrain in the Ohio and Kentucky areas that I ride requires both high wheel speed for dirt hills and low speed on the rocks. My K5 will also see some street time on nice days. Also what's the best tranny cooler out there? Thanks Jeff

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It would be worth doing a search as this has been covered extensively over the last few months.:)

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I got a low rpm MPFI 496 backed by a th400 in mine. I have 4.10s and 35s, and I put in a B&M holeshot 2000rpm stall. I just got it all put back together, so havent wheeled with this converter yet, but on the street, it launches really nice. Also, I have the B&M 11"x11" stacked plate cooler.

4. JeffHK5

JeffHK5 1/2 ton status

converter talk

Wow!, you sure have talked alot about the converter topic in the past. I'm looking in the 1300-1500 RPM stall range and I know from street cars that the higher the stall the bigger the heat problem becomes .
    Thanks Jeff

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

1300-1500 might be a little low, depending on your cam specs. Sitting at a redlight, you might be having to stand on the brake pedal to hold it back. But yeh, the higher the stall, the higher the heat, which is why I run that massive cooler, I believe B&M has it as a 29k lb gvwr. I had a hard time finding a converter that was for big blocks making the power that I am. 2000 was one of the lowest stalls I could find. However, there is a place in columbia, sc, that you call and they custom build you a converter. However it is $400+. I couldnt justify that much $, but depending on your budget, maybe you can. I know a few guys who have gone and had him build them one, one guy is a 1500+hp 502, in a 55 Nomad. The name of the place is Torque Converter Services, and it is in columbia SC