Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

torque converter. for new tranny, stay with stock or upgrade?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by surpip, Nov 4, 2004.

1. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Illl be gettin a new rebuilt 700r4 tranny soon, so should i get a different converter, or stay with the same one thats in the truck now? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. scubahard

scubahard Registered Member

You might want to consider getting a Heavy Duty Torque converter. I do not know much about the advantages or disadvantages of changing the stall RPM though. I have a TH350 and the converter failed. The center shaft sheared from the body of the converter because of poor/weak Converter design and too much applied torque. I had to pay around $300 for my HD converter. It is a lot of money to spend on something that you do not really need. But Hey....do it right the first time if you have the money. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

always put a new converter in with a rebuilt tranny

that said, the stock one for our trucks stall at 1428, you can get stock replacement converters at 1211, 1428, 1568, 1639, and 1996 stall. i have the 1639 in my truck and it pulls well, thinking on going to the 1996 next time.

the 1639 is a 5.0 4.3 5.0 IROC converter, the 1996 is a 5.7 corvette, 5.7 police, 5.0 MPFI IROC converter. those are the only applications that i know of.

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

what is the benifit of having a higher stall speed?

5. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    what is the benifit of having a higher stall speed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Harder launch. More power off the get go! Unless of course you have an engine thats makes all its torque at like 1500RPM (diesel)

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

What type of wheeling do you do with the truck? If you rock crawl you will want a lower stall converter as long as your overall gear ratio is low.

I rockcrawl my truck with a 700R4 and good gears. I run a 1000-1200rpm stall converter. The converter stalls out sooner and gets your power to the ground in a lower RPM range which gets you more control.

If I had a do over with mine I would have a 800-1000rpm stall converter built. My 1200 stall is pretty good as a DD to. I drive it around alot and it does just fine. In the rocks my truck is either climbing what I want to or spinning all 4 tires by 1000-1200rpm. If it isn't climbing by 1200rpm it is going to.

Harley

7. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

But what is best for offroad? I have always heard that a lower stall is better because the torque converter slips less, giving you a little better compression breaking /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif but I /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif for sure. I am looking at rebuilding mine soon and have been wondering the same thing about T.C.'s

8. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

well i live in the foot hills so mostly rocks and fire trails, i will be running 42's and 5.13's I wish i knew a little more about the stall speed and what it does, is it kinda like a lock up? and sence my tranny has the computer controlled lock up do i have alot of choices in torque converters?

9. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

the stall speed is the range when the converter becomes fully
    engaged. Its not like tacking to 1500 rpm's then dumping the
    clutch. Rock crawling and fire roads will work fine with a
    near stock converter. I wouldn't go past 1700rpm converter.
    If you were more into mud, I'd say go higher b/c you need wheel
    speed rather off idle power.

Hope this helps /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Steve

10. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

awsome thanks alot, so a real good all aorund converter would be a little below stock?

11. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

with the 1600 stall converter, i have more control with my right foot than i did with the 1400 stall.

the higher the stall the more torque it helps to create at a lower rpm. the ratio of the slippage is higher, so its like an extra set of gears.

i think the best all around converter is the 1600. but the 1400 still works great. personally i would not use anything lower than 1400 in a gas truck. it just lugs it way too much.

12. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Illl be gettin a new rebuilt 700r4 tranny soon, so should i get a different converter, or stay with the same one thats in the truck now? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[/ QUOTE ]You should ALWAYS go with a new converter in a th700R4. How much HP and torque are you generating? The stock converter isn't bad behind a stock motor but if you are going to build up the tranny (you should with 42's)and have a built motor a converter with a billet center hub would be a good choice. Stock converters have a cast center hub and will break under hi power and no slippy slippy at the wheels. I wish I could remember the name of the aftermarket billet blue printed converter I have but it's been a few years now since I had my tranny done and has over time left my mind. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

As far as your stall speed....in my experience the stock stall should be fine. Most people bump up their stall to match a performance camshaft because the cam dictates where the engine makes power and the converter dictates at what RPM it releases the power to the rest of the tranny. Most your mild performance cams (basically under 220 duration and 470" lift) works fine with a stock stall converter. As far as a below stock stall for rock crawling...I don't know much there because of my lack of experience with crawling. I can see how the low stall could "engage" the converter below peak RPM so it doesn't launch as easely but that would seem to work against you if you need the vehicle on the road.

13. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

its a stock 350 for now but i plan on a built 383 like the GMPP HT 383 asome thanks alot for all the info

14. shockline

shockline Registered Member

I am doing the 383 stroker kit from eagle, my cams power range is 3500-6500, with 3.08 gears and 33 tires in my K5.
    I am leaning towards the B&M 3000 stall hole shot, but I need to tow my boat with it as well as have fun in it, I know the mpg will be poor.
    I have never had anthing but a stock converter before.
    Does anyone have an idea on how this will drive? Will I be twisting off my shafts or breaking my gears?

15. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

That is a HORRIBLY mismatched combination.

First things first, you need to regear. THEN worry about your converter. If you EVER wheel slow, or sit in traffic, that converter is going to kill the trans. Stall=heat, heavy vehicle, powerful engine, numerically low axle numbers, large tires, high stall converters=tranny death. That engine would be bottled up, while the converter absorbed ALL the performance out of the setup.

And probably wouldn't hurt to start a new thread. But good job searching old posts. :)

16. shockline

Thanks for the advice, I am so confused.
    The gears can come later, but due to time constraints I need to make my converter choice before friday and I got no two people telling me the same thing.

17. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Like I said, I suggest making a thread regarding converter choices for YOUR setup, (like "which torque converter for my setup?") and you'll probably get more people chiming in, especially the people that have already been there.

Converter choice should be made with a few criteria factored in, that's why it's important to talk to people that have done what you are asking. I'm sure there are others here that have.

I see you've made a new thread, hopefully people will post to that one. :)

18. shockline

Yup, new thread is made, and people are helpful.
    Thanks