Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Torque converter for Vortec motor w/ 400 tranny

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, Oct 12, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

It's got the stock cam, whatever was in 97 Vortec 350's. I want something that'll go with that cam, 5.13 gears, and 40" tires. The B&M converter with a 1900-2100 stall speed sound good? Or could I go a little higher? Truck is a daily driver, then a climber and once in a while mudder, I like the low RPM power so if someone knows of a converter better than the B&M, please let me know. Thanks

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Well...Whether or not its B&M, TCI, etc. etc.... I think your gonna get more opinionated replies there. They all make about the same class or category poducts.

The problems are: The 350 doesn't start producing its power till the uppers of 2000 RPM's. Now obviously that can change from built to stock.

But as far as the Torque Convertor...The higher stall convertor will really only delay your tranny from turning until the motor is getting closer to its power spot. But thats still gonna be at X RPM's whether the convertor is high or low. Don't get me wrong...Your tranny will actually be turning but the convertor will be slipping to allow the motor to "spool" up as they say. With all that I've read here in the past few months, I'd say go with the B&M 1900-2100 that you mentioned, as it is only about 500 R's over stock, which should allow you to get that "more power" on the lower end.

On the flip side, the RV/Tow type convertors allow you to get the tires rolling sooner. Giving better gas milage and more static torque, HOWEVER, I would not recommend using a Tow/RV low stall convertor on a tranny with a pretty stiff shift kit. It will only make it hit harder, yet so hard you want to pull over and yank the "biotch" out right there on the side of the road. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

3. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

I had an '87 700R4 before, so I think it's a 168-tooth flywheel. Will a 400 torque converter work with a 168, or will I need a 153-tooth?