Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Torque Converter *HELP*

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TheGeneral, Nov 23, 2001.

1. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

More Help Please. In Haynes manual on remove/install auto trans, it talks about marking relationship between flywheel (driveplate) and torque converter. Did that, but how will this effect hooking up new Th400 (outgoing is 700R), since there is no previous established relationship between existing flywheel and new torque converter (one with TH400) I don't have the TH400 out of the donor truck yet, so I am assuming from current info that it is a direct mount up to existing flywheel. Is this the case? Man I hope so. Took four hours to completly drop out transfer, trans, and get ready to drop out TH400 from donor vehicle to install in K5. Thanks for any and all help.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by TheGeneral on 11/23/01 06:33 PM.</FONT></P>

2. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Chevrolet used two different bolt patterns for their torque converters. I believe that the 400 and 700 were different, but luckily most later model flex plates have both patterns. Check to make sure of this, or at least that the 400 TC pattern is the same as the one on your flex plate BEFORE bolting up the trans. As far as alignment, if you get all 3 TC bolts in then it is aligned! Good luck!

'85 K5 : Run it til it breaks, then fix it and go again!