Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Torque converter locker

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jeff l, Jul 18, 2006.

1. jeff l

jeff l 1/2 ton status

My rebuilt 700r4 doesn't shift right and will not go into OD. The builder said I need a torque locker. So I ordered a TCI brand from Jegs. Has any one installed one with the trans in. If so is this a real envolved job.

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You have to remove the trans to fit a torque converter if that's what you're asking. All 700 have a lock up converter unless they've been modified for racing but this is not a good idea for the street due to the extra heat caused.
    If you're builder has done the job right and you're old converter is ok it's probebly just the TV cable needing to be set right. (see article 101 at www.tvmadeez.com ).
    Make sure your wiring is all conected to the box too.
    Was it ok before you rebuilt the box? Have you had the converter flushed out?

3. cajunjets

cajunjets Newbie

Are you using the computer controlled distributor or did you switch to the HEI?
    If you are using HEI you might not get any signals from the computer.
    Just wanted to throw that out there for others to add comments.....

4. cajunjets

cajunjets Newbie

does anyone have a clue????????

5. southernspeed

If he's running a TBI set up he'll have a ecu which uses the later HEI.
    But as some people don't fill out their profile we can't tell!!

6. jeff l

jeff l 1/2 ton status

I have a carb.

I don't have a profile b/c this is my first gm truck and when I started coming here the truck was just a shell I really didn't know what it was going to have.:D

7. southernspeed

As you don't have an ECU you'll need a stand alone TCC controller. TCI amongst others sell them. It enables you to lock/unlock your TCC manually which would normally be taken care of by your ECU.

8. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Torque Converter Lock-Up switch? I use one on my 700 to keep it from hunting for gears while in OD, but if your OD is already hosed, than Im probably off base here....

9. bdozeraz

bdozeraz 1/2 ton status

I think what you ordered was the lock up wiring kit from tci. It is not very hard to install. You pull the pan and filter so you can see the valve body. The instructions will tell you what wires to cut and replace and one or two little pressure switchs. Then you have to wire a ground and a hot wire to the plug on the outside. Mine came with the option of wiring a switch to lock the converter in 3rd or 2nd gear. It also came with a vacuum switch. I tried hooking that up and then bypassed it and through the switch away because it was to eratic. Also make sure your tv cable is adjusted correctly and make sure the point where it connects to the carb linkage has the correct amount of throw.

Brent

10. jeff l

jeff l 1/2 ton status

I installed the tci locker and still no OD!!!

While I had the pan off I could see 1/4'' of space before the tv cable hit the spring, so I adjusted the tv cable so it touched the spring. I hope thats right it seemed to shift better.

11. sgarrison

sgarrison 1/2 ton status

12. bdozeraz

bdozeraz 1/2 ton status

I didn't read your first post right. I thought you said your torque converter wasn't locking up. If the trans won't go into over drive your tv cable is not adjusted right or your shift linkage is not adjusted right. If it is not either of those it is time to take it back to the builder and have him fix it because there is something wrong with the trans. The wiring kit is only for the lockup and has nothing to do with weather it goes into overdrive or not.

Brent

13. jeff l

jeff l 1/2 ton status

My shift linkage is right I think b/c i can go in all my gears I even made sure I gave it gas i neutral and it was in neutral, I went to OD and it started to drive

14. southernspeed

There's only one way to set the tv cable. www.tvmadeez.com . read article 101 at top of page.