Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Torque converter question... help?

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Topdown, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

2. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Ok... after reading for hours and hours it seems that most people have no fricken idea what the stall speed is about. Thankfully the internet is a well of knowledge... the fountain of youthful knowledge and exuberance. Unfortunately there are just as many dumb-a$$ people posting crap they have no idea about as there are reputable folks that do.

So, after searching through the ones that do versus the ones that dont I think I found the answer to the question: Do I need a non-stock converter and if so, how high a stall speed? Well, the answer is: Maybe. With the Cam I run (224/230 duration @ .050) and the 1.6 ratio rockers I should need a converter with a stall of roughly 1000 over stock (which is roughly 1200 - 1500 rpm). So, I would need a stall speed of 2200 - 2400 rpm. Now, assuming that I crawl rocks, a 2400 rpm stall is bad juju, generates too much heat. So, since I dont do rocks (just dont take me back to tijuana) but street, sand & mud, the 2200 - 2400 RPM stall will work well for me.

Phew... damnit, I never wanted to know this much about transmissions and torque converters. Ignorance is bliss, and I am the happiest fat man on the planet.

Thanks for reading along...

-Ryan