Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Torque Converter Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 2500SWATBurb, May 29, 2006.

1. 2500SWATBurb

2500SWATBurb Registered Member

Alright guys

My truck has 67,000 miles on it. It's a 90 model 3/4 ton Suburban.
    400 tranny.
    About 1,000 miles ago it started shifting back down after it had shifted up. Just for a second. It would shift up like normal and just fro a second kick back down and then back into the right gear. Like it needed just a little more oomph to get the right gear.
    Well now... It's not wanting to shift up nearly as easy as it used to. It sounds like there is a huge fan under the truck spinning like mad.
    This truck has been maintained like no other. I've never driven it hard, but I got the truck with 60k on it.

What could this be? My guess is that the torque converter is about to go.
    Damnit!!!!!! Just when I almost had enough to buy my tires and wheels.

How much is a TC gonna cost me? If that's the problem.

2. 2500SWATBurb

2500SWATBurb Registered Member

Can I get a bump?

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

check a few things..

Be sure the fluid level is correct..not over full, or low..then make sure the vacuum modulator is getting vacuum,and no ATF is in it,indicating a ruptured diaphram..check the govenor gear,it could be ready to strip the teeth off the nylon gear,that determines when it upshifts..(once the gear strips completely only first gear will work,no upshifts!)--
    --has the filter and fluid been changed recently??..if not,it would be a good idea..a clogged filter can cause a whining siren type noise,and affect shifts...and a peek at the inside bottom of the pan will tell a lot,if its full of metal filings ,it is likely on its way out..:crazy: