Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Torque converter question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by neverendingproject, Sep 25, 2006.

1. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

My 4l80e project is coming along nicely and all I have to do now is get a torque converter.

Im running a 383 so im wondering if I need the low stall for big blocks or a high stall for small blocks.

What do you think? Still go high stall even though im making big block torque?

2. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

How do you plan to use the truck, most of the time? Towing? Mud drags? Slow, technical trails? Mall-crawling? Stoplight Gran Prix? Something else?

What is your cam grind?

3. neverendingproject

Its going to be a daily driver, but I still want performance (why I went 383). I will do mud and crawling if I can, but DD'ing it is a must. The cam is the GMPP 383HT cam, but its very streetable with good vaccuum and 400+ lb-ft from 2000 on. maxed at 4000 around 460lb-ft.

4. neverendingproject

TTT, im looking to get my rig together asap!

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Since no one else is adding...

Don't forget adding input torque to the converter increases the stall speed of a converter. So your 383 with the exact same converter will stall higher than a 350.

I'd say if doing anything technical, low stall converter is the best. Yes, won't get you off the line fast, but with heat being enemy number 1, a high stall converter on rocks is a bad deal. Yes, you could get away with a high stall around town since you have both OD and lockup, but again once offroad, if your engine RPM is consistently lower than the stall of the converter, you will have major heat issues. Mud that wouldn't be an issue...trails, yes.