Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

torque converter questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

first one, will a buick converter fit on a chevy tranny? i've got an almost brand new one for my old BOP th350 and i'd like to put in in my chevy th400. i know that 350's and 400's are interchangable as long as they have the same bolt pattern, but not sure about the splines on a BOP and chevy.

second question: has anyone heard of using a switch pitch converter on their chevy? buick used them in their trannies. i remember reading about a chevy truck that had a custom converter in it that was switch pitch. i think it would be awesome to have the launch of a high stall converter and a cruise rpm of a tight one. what do you guys think of them?

2. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

TTT, anyone know about this stuff?

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I think lockup converters made the variable pitch ones obsolete. You can just get a high stall converter with a lockup clutch and get even better gas mileage and lower oil temps than with a variable pitch type. The higher the stall, the better the lockup clutch needs to be. I think these are usually a few to several hundred dollar converters.

I don't know about the interchangability. You need to know the spline counts and the depth. I know you can't mix lockup and non-lockup stuff.