Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Torque Converter selection

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k20, Feb 27, 2005.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Hey all, gonna order torque converter & tranny cooler today. Im thinking either a B&M holeshot 2000 or a 2400 stall. Which one should I get? The 2400 is about 80 bucks more, but the 2000 says for engines making less than 350hp. Does anyone know if that 350hp rating is because most engines have a large cam to make that much power, or because the converter cant take it? http://cranecams.com/index.php?show=browseParts&action=partSpec&partNumber=139721&lvl=2&prt=5 thats the cam I have, and my engine makes peak tq around 2500rpm and peak hp about 4k. Any ideas?

Also, Im thinking of the b&m stacked plate 11x11" cooler. Is this one ok, or should I go tube & fin style? I have a tube/fin oil cooler, and have heard the stacked plate are better as tranny coolers, but just want to be sure. Thanks guys. Chris.

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

ttt, anyone?

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

think about this, what kind of torque are you making at 2400? you want to shockload your trans with that on a daily driver?

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

yeh, im makin high 640ish tq according to all the dyno sims at 2500 lol. I dont understand all this crap lol, is there a tranny expert on the board?

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

call whoever makes the converters. Stall converters are more for getting into your peak powerband. Which for a race application or offroad only is great(I plan at least a 2000 stall in my 700R4 with my 383) but for a daily driver, I think its just not optimal.

6. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

Yea wouldnt you want such a high rpm lockup for racing, mudbogging. The 2400 stall means the converter locks up with the trans starting at that rpm. ??

So if you are doing alot of creeping, hunting etc with your rig wouldnt you want a stock converter which I believe locks up around 1300?

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

stall speed is rated when the brakes are locked in gear (tranny not spinning) that is the fastest the motor will spin. it varys for every motor but is usually around a certain range.

what do you do with your truck? is it your DD? (i hope not with that motor :blush: )

remember that the higher the stall, the higher the motor will be before it starts to move, which in turns means more power when it doesn enguage and may break stuff easier. personally i wouldn't run anything bigger than 2000 stall in a truck, unless it was a purpose built mud runner.

8. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

yep its my DD, that motor makes it fun lol. Does anyone else have a theory as to why b&m says no more than 350hp for that tc? Is it cause they figure you have a large cam that needs a bigger tc? Its the same build(internals) as the 2400, just lower stall.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I think its the cam thing. Its a general rule for stupid people I think. Thats why I said call them, ask them if thats the case. As for creepy crawling and stall speed, my rig will be mostly a crawler but with 2000+ stall. One of the reasons is so I can apply the brakes and not have my motor and trans fighting to propel me forward.

10. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

yeh im gonna call them tomorow, just was seeing if anyone on here happened to know wtf i need lol. Maybe work for TCI or B&M haha.

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

What trans are you going with? I'm considering going with an OEM torque converter since I'm using the 700R4. S10 converters are suppossed to have about a 2000 RPM stall. The price of a new B&M converter compared to what you can get some S10 ones for is making me think thats what I will do. If I blow the S10 converter with my 383 then I know to tell others.

12. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

going w/ what i had in there........a th400 :blush:

13. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the s10 converters have a 1639 stall, the corvettes and 9C1s (caprice cop cars) have a 2000 stall.

14. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you get a 2400rpm stall converter that means the converter will not lockup until 2400 RPM. Torque converters create alot of heat if they are not locked up. So if you are not turning 2400 rpm then the converter is creating alot of heat. Heat leads to tranny failure.

I personally am running a 1000-1200 rpm stall on my truck. I rock crawl though and I want the the converter to start locking up early to help get the tires spinning in the lower rpm range.

Harley