Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Torque converter shudder

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blue85, Apr 17, 2001.

1. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I couldn't solve my lockup problems and traced it all to the converter itself after checking the solenoid and valves. Pulled the tranny out and took the converter in to be tested (this is a Corvette converter that I put in when I rebuilt the tranny in July). The converter held no pressure for the lockup clutch. I put in a rebuilt "H/D" stock stall speed converter and now it locks up, but shudders intermittently while cruising in 3rd or 4th (but mostly just 4th). I replaced the seal on the input shaft when I had it apart. I didn't do anything else to the front end since the whole pump assembly was new in July.

Anybody have this problem that wasn't due the solenoid or input shaft seal? I am trying to determine whether it is definately the converter or not because taking the transmission out is not quick or fun and I really don't want to make a habit of it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

<font color=green>"MAN THOUGHT HURT BUT SLIGHTLY DEAD" --Providence (R.I.) Journal</font color=green>

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just grasping at straws here, since the only OD I have really worked on is the 200-4R, but what about the check ball and o-ring on the input shaft? Not even sure what they do, but I know they are stuffed into the torque converter when assembled...any chance you have an ATSG manual laying around for the 700? if not, you might want to buy one just for the diagnositics. Usually though, they list like 5 things to check, all of which require removal anyways : (

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Well, the check ball in the input shaft seems to be OK, but I don't know of any real conclusive test for it, except to replace it.

For whatever reason, the conveter has stopped chattering. If I act soon, I can get a different converter free of charge, but if it's gonna be OK now, I don't want to do the work of taking the tranny down again. I guess I should get some good highway miles on this thing soon.

Any other ideas about what would cause the shudder? Valves are clean and solenoid is new.

<font color=green>"MAN THOUGHT HURT BUT SLIGHTLY DEAD" --Providence (R.I.) Journal</font color=green>