Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Torque converter slip

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AussieK5, Jul 10, 2006.

1. AussieK5

AussieK5 1/2 ton status

Ive googled without luck. Anyone know what % of slip the 350/700 trans have at cruisin speed?
    TIA
    Jason

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

The figure I've always heard is 2%-5% depending on the stall speed of the converter. In OD with the conveter locked up there would be no slippage.

If a guy really wanted to know, and you have VSS, you could config a "tachometer" to read that signal and compare it to and engine tach.

3. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

A 700 will be locked up in 2nd, 3rd and O/D at light (cruise) throttle. I know not the slippage on a 350 but it will vary greatly on the build of the converter.

4. AussieK5

AussieK5 1/2 ton status

Thanks....I've heard that its about 5% for a stock converter, though I am still hoping to get some empirical data before I move ahead.

I plan on running a 350 or maybe a non-lock up 700 and want to target a good rpm range with my final drive ratio at highway speed.

Jason

5. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I believe that 700s are prone to overheating when run without a lock-up. just what I've read, not what I've experienced.

6. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Any auto will make a little more heat with the TC unlocked than it will with the TC locked. No big deal, and if you need to run it down in D (instead of up in OD), due to towing a heavy trailer, steep hills, or something like that, just keep an eye on the trans temp gauge, and install a bigger trans cooler if temps indicate that to be a good idea.