Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

torque converter slippage?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jones, May 19, 2004.

1. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

the 350 makes good power but it 's not gettin to the ground.trans.shifts good in all gears but off the line it sucks!kind of a metal scraping sound up to 25mph,shifts 1st/2nd then stops.still does it after fluid/filter change.fluid is full.have "standard rear axle"code GQ1...I think.235/75-15 orig.equip(28")have 31's now.my theory...torque converter junk and need lower gears.

2. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

but that's just MY theory.does it sound about right?or am i an idiot?...or both?

3. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Fill out your profile!

A lot more people will respond if they know what you have. I am assuming that you have a TH350 tranny? I had one, and the last time I went wheeling I think I had the same noise as you, but everything worked fine. Ignored it until a few months later the tranny went out all together. Then I slapped in a SM465/NP205. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

uh,profile?ok,i guess.I now have profile. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gifI'm not stupid.really!jus' a little computer illiterate.bare with me,folks.i'll be alright.

5. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

NO,IT'S A 700R4/208.SOON TO BE 400/208.IT'S BEING DROPPED AT THE TRANNY SHOP TOMORROW FOR INSPECTION.CO-WORKER GAVE TO ME.BEEN IN HIS SHED FOR AWHILE.I THINK IT'LL BE IN GOOD SHAPE THOUGH.I HAD A 465/205 IN MY '82.FORCED SALE,STILL KICKING MYSELF IN THE ASS.I SHOULD'VE SOLD MY STEP KIDS,INSTEAD. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

dude your from ionia? i grew up in ionia, i live in sheridan now. small world /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

can you pin point where the sound is coming from? if it was the converter it would do it all the time. do you know what ratio you have? 235s to 31s is not that big of a jump and would be hard to notice. my k10 had 2.73 and it was slow, but i could go 100+mph /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

IONIA since birth,man!noise sounds like it's coming from the converter area.I think it does it consistently.but my hearing isn't so wonderful.louder when it's first driven,gradually fades,but can still be heard slightly.enough to bug me really bad.

8. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

oh,BTW,gear ratio u/k for now,LSD,75 on the e-way is pushin' it.