Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Torque Converter stall speed- need help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SkysTheLimit, Jul 5, 2006.

1. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

I got the go ahead from the finance department (aka the wife) and will be swapping out the 350 in the K5 for a stroked 454. Part of it will be a tranny swap from 700r4 to a built TH400. The motor/trans are coming out of a drag car so the stall speed is pretty high on the converter (3500ish). From what I've read, finding the right stall speed is a bit of an art so I need some guidance. Here is what i think will be the pertinent information:

Tire diameter is 37"
    final gear ratio of trans is 1:1
    rear end ratio is open for suggestions, probably 4.56 or 4.88
    HP at the crank 800+
    Driving habit / use of truck: mud/sand, no crawling and of course hauling major a$$ off the line. dont care about interstate speeds. just want to play in the sand box and smoke some punks off the line. :wink1:

Links or any guidance is greatly appreciated. Haven't started turning the wrenches yet but want to plan everything out as best I can. Thanks guys!

2. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

That 3500 stall is likely to work well with the current cam profile in that BBC. What cam do they have in the engine? Looking at a HP/TQ curve for it might tell you a lot about which stall speed would be a good match.

3. SkysTheLimit

I dont have the specs on the cam handy, i'll have to get the nitty gritty details. It's pretty aggressive. the engine has a really nice sounding lopey idle to it. :D

On a side note, is a 14bolt / D60 combo strong enough to handle that much power? It'd be tough to smoke 4 37" tires but it sure would be fun to try...

thanks all!

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

800hp????????? It is probably a roller motor with that kind of number. Anyhow my guess it is probably stalling higher then 3500rpm. I would think more toward 4500. With that much power 4:56's will be fine. You could probably get away with 4:10's. A D60 and 14ff will be ok offroad in sand and mud but attempting the 4wd burnouts might hurt the D60's shafts. You didn't mention a t case but I would guess your planning for a 205.

5. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Dude once you get it together you have to make a video of a burnout so you can compare it to BrandonC's videos. :D

Let me just say, 800hp:bow: :p:

6. SkysTheLimit

The engine is a 454 bored & stroked to 496. Roller rockers, port & polish, balanced and all that jazz. I'm going to try my best to put together an article documenting the engine swap. I haven't had much luck finding one on the web. I'm going to start looking for 4.56 or 4.88 whichever I can find first/cheapest and go with that.

If I did a dyno run with the motor in the current car (ford 9" rear with 4.10) would that give an accurate enough HP/TQ curve to get me in the right ballpark for the stall speed I need in the K5?

Of course, for the group's benefit, before I do the axle swap, I will attempt a burnout and video it. No matter what happens, it will be entertaining. :eek1:

7. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just make sure you have 300M shafts and CTM's or Longfield Joints in the front and you will be fine.