Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Torque converter/torque rod install questions*W/PIC*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Nov 3, 2002.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I just swapped in a th305 where the 700r4 used to be. It seems the torque converter is 1/16" off (ferther away) from the flywheel. I can pull the torque converter out a little from the tranny and it sits flush with the flexplate but it seems to come out of the 4th groove. The holes line up ok its just the converter isnt flush. Any one know if it would be ok to bolt up the converter if its not pushed ALL the way back into the tranny. Like I said its only 1/16" off.

[​IMG]

As for the torque rods, the new tranny is out of a 2wd veh and doesnt have the same holes for the 4wd flywheel cover, so I need to use a 2wd cover. The 2wd cover doesnt have the holes for the torque rods that mount to the frame. Can anyone tell me if it would be ok to leave off the torque rods, its a 350 with 275-300 HP.
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Brent, 1/16" gap is hardly gonna affect the convertor. I would just go ahead and slap them together and bolt them up.

You can leave the rods off from the motor mount to the flywheel cover. Won't hurt anything at all. I've seen literally thousands of 4x4's without the 6 bolt dust covers and most of them had the 2wd tranny housings with 4 bolt thin covers instead. Just remove the rods and call it finished.

I had an '84 K30 with a 454/400/205 setup and the 400 was a 2wd version. Therefore it did not have the rods from the motor to the cover and ran fine. No worries. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

You are the man!

Thanks