Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

torque converter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by adamforsythe, Jul 9, 2005.

1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Hello,
    I just installed my torque converter and tranny last weekend. I was wondering what I would hear if I installed it wrong. I started the truck up a few times and heard no grinding, etc. So am I in the clear?
    Thanks
    Adam

2. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

Well...................................................................................................
    you would hear grinding noises if ya did it wrong Adam,
    have faith in yourself.

3. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

usually if u did it wrong, as in hooking the flywheel to the flexplate...you wont be able too bolt them up. they will bind together and you wouldn't be able to turn the motor and tranny to line up the bolts for the converter and plate. this is do to not setting the converter right. i got experiance in this one :doah: :doah:

4. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Also, its not a bad idea to locktight the 3 bolts that connect the converter to the flywheel.

You'll know if you didn't tighten them good enough because they will loosen up and it'll start knocking REAL loud.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2005
  5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

if the converter wasnt engaged in the pump all the way then you would have known it right away

no worries

when theres a huge gap between plate or wheel and the converter then i liek to use one or two washers for all three bolts, but dont bottom out the converter snout into the pump though,

good luck