Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Torque converter??

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by surg82k5, Jun 17, 2001.

1. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

What kind of converter is the best for use on a 6.2 Diesel. No major towing but want good performance. Would it be the same as a 350 converter, any specific stall rating?? thanks for the help,
    sergio

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I think you'll find the stock (diesel) converter is the way to go (and I usually hate "stock"). The diesel converters had more mounting bolts to flexplate than the gas engines. Stall speed would probably be significantly lower than a gas version, although I'ver never seen a direct comparison.

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

3. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

diesel converter and gasser converter are interchangable. I worked at a tranny shop for two years and we always used the same ones, I have the same converter used in gassers in my 6.2 burban and it works beautiful. I have seen one or two with multiple bolt patterens but I believe this was just a set up from a couple of years ment to be interchangable with diffenter flex plate patterns. But yes, towing with a desiel stick with the stock converter.

You call that dirty!?