Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Torque Converter

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by srscout, Nov 4, 2006.

1. srscout

srscout Registered Member

Well with winter coming ( I have a heated shop) and the new baby settled in I finally have time to get the doubler swap done. I have all the parts together ( just need to order the kit and get the 205 back from the shop from the 32 spline input conversion\rebuild). Question is this. I am running a TH-350 (length is an issue) behind a healthy SB Chev with 4.10's and 35" MT\R's. What stall speed do I want when I order the converter and who builds them good? I don't care if I have to order one, I just want a good one.

2. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I run the same thing in my buggy except the sb is not healthy.
    I have a stock replacement converter in it and don't notice anything wierd.

I also don't do much street driving.

If you post this in the garage you will get better responses.

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

For a really premium convertor, try The Convertor Shop, or TCS. I know they're in AZ, not for sure where but I be a search turns them up.

For stall speed, we've had good luck with "stock" stall speed convertors. Stock can mean many things but in this case I've had good luck with the 1800 rpm range and I notice I have to use the brakes a bit too much if it goes over 2000. Really high stalls can create a lot of heat. I don't have a lot of experience with custom convertors, we've used stock type stuff in all our buildups.

4. srscout

srscout Registered Member

Hey Guys---- Thank you very much for the info. I don't have ANY experience with auto's in 4X4's, quite a bit in drag cars but I have always run 4 speeds in my offroaders.
    Stephen--- Thank you for the great write up and info on the evloution of your Jimmy that you have on your site. That is what made me decide to go to an auto on this rig.

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I think you'll like it, as a race, we're really built for auto trannies. We have 2 pedals that need to be operated at once and coincidentally, we have 2 feet to operate them!

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I don't have a "doubler" but I have similar lowrange to a doubler with my poorman's doubler (700R4 & 208). Many of my friends rockcrawl with doublers though and many of us run low stall converters and really like them. I run a 1000 RPM stall converter personally & love it. I have a "mild" 350 with TPI fuel injection. My buddies all run "mild" 350's also and have had good success with converters in the 500-1200 rpm range.

My setup is TPI350, 700R4 w/1000rpm stall, NP208 case, 4.56's gears, 35-37" MTR's (used to have 35" and now 37"). My truck spins all four tires between 1200-1300rpm. So basically if I am on an obstical I am either climbing it or spinning all 4 tires by 1300rpm.

The only drawback to a low stall converter is if you go lower then about 1000 rpm you will start pulling threw the brakes at idle when you are in double low. I can stop my truck when the motor is idling no problem but if I bump the idle up to about 1000 rpm the trucks gearing will overcome the brakes.

My friend with the 500 rpm stall converter can usually stop the truck with disk brakes all the way around but sometime he has to bump it in neutral if the converter starts catching hard.

Harley