Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Torque Converters

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChadH82, Oct 4, 2001.

1. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

I've been doing some research on torque converters and I think I have the basic idea of what they do and how they do it. Now I just need to find who makes good converters for my application. My engine will be pushing 415 ft. lbs. of torque. What stall speed would be good for my blazer? It will see mud and rocks. Let me know if I forgot some info.

Chad

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

If you do any rockcrawling you'll want a low stall model. What gears/tire size are you running? It will affect stall speed. Is this a SB or BB?

No more than 2000 rpm IMO.

John

<font color=blue>"When all else fails, read the instructions, or get a bigger hammer"</font color=blue>

3. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Also what Trany do you have......

C'moe

Kill Roy was here!

4. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Your best bet would be to gather up all of your engine specs,axle ratio,tranny, and vehicle weight and call torque converter manufactures .Tell them what you have and what you want to do and they can tell you what you need.This way takes the guessing out of it.

A balanced diet is a beer in both hands.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

5. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I would personally run anywhere from a 1400 to a 2000 rpm stall. I'm putting in an auto that's where I'm looking. I have a 3400 stall in my chevelle but that's a different hill of beans

6. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I called a tranny shop when I was putting in my tranny (TH400) to ask them for a good aftermarket low stall converter and they told me that for low RPM stuff, the best converter I could use was the stock TH400 one. It seems to work good.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

7. schneggie

schneggie 1/2 ton status

I changed my converter recently. I have a 350 with a th350 running 4.56 gears and 35's. I installed a 1800 stalled converter after talking with Stephen from ORD. It works really well, the only problem that I have is getting used to the new position of where the truck takes off. Before when I stepped on the gas the truck would just casually go because the converter would "catch" before the engine hits it prime "torque" point. Now the when the converter gets to it's "catch" point the engine is also at it's prime "torque" point, the results are lots of power and the truck wants to go! So as a result I have been learning how to hit this "torque" point while having one foot on the brake, then holding the gas at that point and letting the brake off very slowly so as not to jump or lunge while rock crawling. The over all end result of where the converter is "catching", the engines prime "torque" point, is awesome! It's like a whole new truck that has the power that you need and when you need it.

Just my experiences with this.

Greg

8. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

I will have 39.5's with 4.56 gears and a 383/400 engine/tranny combo.

Chad

9. chevyboy24598

chevyboy24598 1/2 ton status

I'm running a 2400-2800 stall on my truck. 350/350/np203 and 4.56 gears on 33s

Rust=Good
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.bodatious.com> bodatious </a>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.mudboggingfun.homestead.com> my site </a>

10. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

Does anyone have a preference on a specific brand or company building them?

Chad