Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Torque Convertor Q's... Need Help Badly

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jimmyjack, Jan 24, 2003.

1. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Torque Convertor Q\'s... Need Help Badly

OK heres the deal. My tranny is making some horrible noises. I've decided after two weeks of this noise it CAN'T be the tranny cos it'd be dead by now (clean fluid, no stink and no debris). Anyway I pulled the tranny back and the flexplate is hanging by a thread but the Torque Convertor is hotter than hell!! I can touch the tranny case, the pan. I can grab the exhaust and touch the block, but the T/C is scorching. I know theres alot of friction in there but DAMN. Any ideers? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

Re: Torque Convertor Q\'s... Need Help Badly

By the way the converter operates, it creates heat. It is filled with a fluid so the heat will stay in the converter for longer than say a hollow exhaust pipe.

Maybe if you can describe the noise and when it occurs, somebody could help you out, I am by far an expert on auto tranny's.

3. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

You say the flexplate is hanging on by a thread? what to you mean by that? the teeth are broken on the ring gear?

If your starter doesn't completely disengage it can tear teeth off like there is no tomorrow and make god awful noises!

4. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Its a 700r4. All of a sudden when I accelerate, I get a grating noise. Kind of like a cookie sheet full of gravel is the best I can desrcibe it. It doesnt do it unless I step on the gas pretty good. Other than that it acts perfectly normal. It will go away as the truck goes faster. It will do it when I'm going 70 and kick into 3rd gear and go away after a few seconds. Like I said the fluid is pink. No burn odor and no clutch material or debris when I wipe the dipstick onto a clean cloth.
    The flexplate was cracked in 3 places in the areas around the center where it bolts onto the crank /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

5. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The flexplate was cracked in 3 places in the areas around the center where it bolts onto the crank

[/ QUOTE ]

Well shucks, there be your problem! I had a cracked flex plate on my 400 and it made some awful noises. It had a crack about an inch long and the crack started for one of the bolt holes. The noises and popping sounds it made could be heard only at acceleration from a stop. I'll just bet this is your problem! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

No doubt about that!!! Going to pick up a heavy duty tomorrow! I had a guy take it for a ride tho and he told me he thought I should replace my convertor too bcos it has a pretty nasty shudder. Thats why I was asking about the temp. It's freakin hot /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

heres what happened to u. after so many years of driving etc. those thin cheap ass flexplates crack. they crack from one hole to another where it bolts to the crank and it just continues. now, sometimes they will just fall off. but, in ur case it stayed together but it allowed the TC to move just a slight amt. most likely that slight amount prolly gave ur TC one hell of a ride causing it to move forward and back a lot of times. this will eventually cause your internals of your TC to get fawked up ruinging the TC. so, replace the flexplate and TC then call it good. it should solve all of your problems. o, and b sure you put all the bolts in that hold the engine/tranny together

NITRO

8. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

I heard that the flexplates on 400's are more prone to cracking in this manner, any truth to this?

9. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

I just replaced the flexplate on my friend's '91 Suburban with a 700R4 trans. He had the same problem as you where the crack traveled past all six bolts that hold the flexplate to the crank. Yes, the torque converter gets very hot and stays hot for a long time. Whenever you plan on doing the job, make sure the truck sits and cools for a few hours before you start.

10. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

and b sure you put all the bolts in that hold the engine/tranny together
    Are you referring to anything in particular??? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif LocTite and lock washers rock

11. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

So nothing out of the ordinary then. I was concerned. I'm replace the TC and the flexplate just for shits and grins. I got my hands on a 350 but the out put shaft was too short.

12. Tice

Tice Registered Member

Jim, did that fix your problem? And on another note, did those gears work for Don? Tice /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif