Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Torque Convertor stall speed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigJohnson, Oct 9, 2001.

1. BigJohnson

BigJohnson 1/2 ton status

My Blazer has pathetic take-offs and I think my problem may be my torque converter. After swapping to a 350 gas motor I kept the diesel torque converter in the TH400. These are my questions:

1. What is the stall speed for a factory torque convetor in a 350 powered Blazer?
    2. What would it be for a 6.2 diesel?
    3. Should I run a factory stall speed convetor or change it to one with a slightly higher stall speed for better take-offs?
    BTW, I have 3.08 gears and 31's which I know doesn't help.

Thanks,
    Jordan

2. blazbrnc

blazbrnc 1/2 ton status

It's been a while, but here is what I remember.
    1. Approx. 1800 RPM
    2. Probably lower
    3. Depends. Did you put a big cam (high lift and duration) in the 350? Do you plan on drag racing with this thing? If not I wouldn't mess with the tc. If you do any slow wheeling the extra slipping of a higher stall tc does nothing but generate heat. If you still want one, you can get a replacement (cheaper) at most tranny shops that will spin up to around 2400 rpm. If you want higher than that you will have to go aftermarket which are pricey.

'79 K5, '79 Suburban, '76 Br**co, 77 K20
    '99 BB 4x4 Suburban to tow more junk home

3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

1. Around 1600-1800
    2. Around 1300-1500
    3. Depends on your application. If you do any rockcrawling keep the low speed model or get a factory 350 model. If not I would suggest something like 2000-2100 stall for a daily driver.

<font color=blue>"When all else fails, read the instructions, or get a bigger hammer"</font color=blue>

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Your gears are killing you. Put a high stall converter in with those gears, and you will kill your tranny. FWIW, diesel trannies are governed to shift MUCH earlier than gas ones. Have you tried manually shifting from 1st, 2nd, third? Once you get moving, holding the gears longer helps.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen