Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Torque Convertor with Big Tires/Power?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BorregoK5, Oct 16, 2001.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I'm in the market for a new torque convertor and want to find out what people are running with success. My stock convertor contributed to the overheating and destruction of my th350 this last weekend so I'm looking at a few RV style, heat reducing convertors from 1400 to 1600 rpm. Anyone running one of these with 36" + tires and above 4.11 gearing on a high displacement small block?

"I'm looking for a Dana60 Front Axle.." I asked, "You wish! HAHA" the wrecker replied! - <a target="_blank" href=http://www.echobit.com:81/k5/> Pictures</a>

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I had probs w/ my tranny overheating (see pics from Blazer Fest) because of the 36" tires and 3.73 gears. I installed a B&amp;M cooler (the bigest w/ a install kit) and have not had a prob sence.

I would install a cooler first (if you dont' have one already) than think about a torque converter.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

my trannie has a stock cooler i've got 3.73s and i'm gettin 36 will my trannie be ok?

donate to the "Build Scott's Suburban Foundation"
    scott,
    1989 GMC suburban 3/4t 4" lift soon to be rollin on 36" swampers, tbi350, th350, np241

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

On the torque converter I was looking at a TCI Truckmaster. It is $230 from PAW. They say it will lower temp 20deg. All the B&amp;M ones (that I have seen) are higher than stock stall (this one is lower I think).

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Have you seen the pics from the Blazer Fest See it Here

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I was nearly on fire when mine overheated this last saturday. I didn't have an external tranny cooler then, just the stock radiator one. My tranny fried and boiled the ATF, shooting it out the dipstick and all over the exhaust manifol (probably sounds familiar, eh). Anyhow, the tranny is shot and I'm getting a rebuild with an rv/towing style shift kit, mostly to increase the pressure on the plates and reduce heat generating slippage. I already bought an external B&amp;M tranny cooler with the torque convertor being the last heat generating item. I saw the truck one you speak of, but I'm looking at going with a cam which requires a higher rather than lower stall. I may go with the flatter torque curve from a less radical cam and get the lower stall truck convertor from TCI. I was kinda hoping someone has already ran one. Thanks for posting with the tire size and gear ratio - I was running 33's on 3.07's when mine blew!

"I'm looking for a Dana60 Front Axle.." I asked, "You wish! HAHA" the wrecker replied! - <a target="_blank" href=http://www.echobit.com:81/k5/> Pictures</a>