Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

torque convertor ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big dan, Jan 3, 2007.

1. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I recently pulled my th350 and put it and all the parts in my garage. got another truck that needs a tranny so Im going to put this one in it. my torque convertor got some water in it from my leaky roof. will it be ok to dump out any water thats in it, maybe spray some wd-40 in to make sure it all gets out and run it? or is my tc wasted? thanks

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

More than likely the internals were still half full of tranny fluid anyway, I'd probably run it if you don't want to pay for a new one.

Still a chance that the exposed portions got some surface rust going that will make it's way through your transmission, but it's up to you.

I've run converters from trannies that went bad without having the converter rebuilt, with no problem, but there is certainly no guarantee. :)

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

2 ways out..

I'd just get another converter--they are plentiful in junkyards,not too terribly costly new,or you could have yours flushed out on a special machine a tranny shop will have, for a reasonable fee (a good idea when reusing ANY converter,whether it was possibly contaminated when the tranny failed or not)...or you could just cross your fingers and dump out the oil and water in it,and refill with fresh fluid,and pray it didn't rust up enough to hurt anything...oil and water dont mix,so chances are if the water was not in it for long,it will be OK...:crazy:

4. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

well you are correct it was mostly full with tranny fluid and had very little water for a very short period so I went ahead and poured out the old fluid and flushed it out a little and filled it up. Im gonna try it to see if it all still works and if it dont then I guess Ill have a little more work to do. thanks guys.